Heat lamp

If you live in a place with hot weather, don't leave your heat lamp on in the day. Also, you can stop using the heat lamp at night also when the temperatures at night have reached in the middle of the 70's and 80's.

If you live in a place with hot weather, don't leave your heat lamp on in the day. Also, you can stop using the heat lamp at night also when the temperatures at night have reached in the middle of the 70's and 80's.

The age of the chicks would have a lot to do with whether or not the 70's and 80's at night are okay. Like I said, just give them LOTS of room to decide for themselves. If you see the chicks are using the light, keep it on. If they aren't, take it down.

I would like to ad to Jade's comment..

if you see the chicks constantly huddled tight under the light and seldom goig away to drink and eat... they might be too cold, and either need the light set lower or a higher watt bulb. (Never stronger than 250 )

I just picked up my chicks abd have them indoors in Orego. I purchased the the red 250w heat lamp and have them in a box about 18"x 28" The lamp is putting out plenty of heat. Is it normal for them to flatten out aND sleep?I only have the lamp at one end abd they don't seem to going to the other end of the box. About what age do I introduce them to the Coop and pen.

Chicks that are just a day or a few days old will lay out on their tummies and often have their heads turned to the side.

I have adult chickens in my coop so it will be several weeks before I put my chicks with the adults. Maybe 2 or 3 months. I want them good size.

All you folks who are so worried about heat lamps should check out Blooie's thread on chick-caves with "mama heating pad" as an alternative to heat lamps. It's right here on this forum.
Thanks, azygous. I have had my chicks outside in the run since 11 of them were one week old and then I added 4 who were one day old. The older ones were supposed to go out from day one as well, but hubby ended up in the hospital the evening that we brought the first chicks home so the outside pen took a few extra days to get ready. I just rigged up Mama Heating Pad in a dog crate in the living room for the week Ken was laid up. But at that one week mark, they were moved outside. Our night time temps were in the 20s, and have now soared into the 30s.

I don't use a heat lamp on them and haven't since I brought them all home. They are healthy, strong, and doing so well even I'm surprised sometimes when I go out and look at them. I have 10 adult hens and 1 rooster out there in the same run and coop. The Bigs are separated from the Littles by an old x-pen I had when I was showing dogs so they are getting used to seeing each other. Integration is going very well, even as little as the chicks are. When the Littles are out of their pen, I'm out there, of course. I'm not so foolish that I'd let them mingle while I'm off doing something else. If one of the girls gets a little too brisk with her warnings, she gets a warning from me, just as a broody would do to a flock mate that was bothering her chicks. More and more now the Bigs look at the Littles with interest, then just go on to do other things. I'm taking it slowly and using their natural instincts to my advantage whenever I can. We had one rough day, but the next day when I let the Littles out whatever bee was in the Bigs' bonnets had worked itself out. The Littles are now even going outside the run and following the Bigs around the yard, and when they want a drink or quick warm up they go right back inside the run and their pen, on their own. Not bad for 11 four week old and 4 3 week old chicks - or at least they'll be those ages on Sunday.

This method of raising chicks works. It absolutely, positively works. No risk of fire. No overheated or chilly chicks. No dust and dander all over the house. They go to sleep when the sun goes down and sleep until it comes up again. Blessed silence! They are so calm, too. And I'm enjoying every minute of having new chicks to raise instead of fussing and worrying and stressing out.

Edited to add the link to the thread azygous mentioned.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/956958/mama-heating-pad-in-the-brooder-picture-heavy-update

Last edited:
I had my chicks for a few days didn't use the heat light except when I was home the house was at about 75° and they have been fine after about a week I didn't use the heat light at all

We purchased a Sweeter Heater which is significantly cheaper than the Ecoglow. I'm very pleased with it so far. It uses far less energy, the chicks naturally go to sleep for the night when it gets dark, and it seems to comfort the chicks to hide under something if they are scared! GL!

So I have a question maybe yall can help with. I have 6 chicks: 2 are almost 3 weeks old and 4 that are almost 2 weeks old. The first week I kept the broooder in the unheated garage with the lamp on. Now the brooder is sitting outside and they don't use the lamp during thw middle of the day because they are catching nice warm morning sun. Around 3ish I turn the lamp back on because they are in the shadE and I don't want them getting too chilled. However I am worried about them getting too warm when the sun is on them. The lamp is off during this time but we are having Temps in the 80s here ( sonoma county california) do I need to set up a sun shade for the chicks or just let them be? the brooder is 2x4 and plywood with hardware cloth over a solid frame for the lid ( good ventilation).

I would probably put something up on one end so they have some shade if they want it. My motto "better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it!". I
am a new baby chick mom too though. Mine are just 11 days old, so still in the house.

On a side note: I'm from Santa Rosa! Grew up there; Healdsburg, Windsor, Petaluma, Santa Rosa, lived in all of them!

Back
Top Bottom