Heat lamps

MamaWalker

Songster
May 2, 2015
Mountainburg Arkansas
My buff orpington chicks are a week old today. I have a heat lamp in the brooder but I thought the temp might be too warm in there because they looked like they were panting. I've moved the lamp and that solved the issue but I'm curious........how long should I use this heat lamp? Do they even need it now?

If they are panting and at the opposite side of where the light is stationed they feel overheated. Ideally the chicks should be evenly distributed around the enclosure you are raising them. Buy one of those cheap $2 thermometers you find around an endcap at walmart and place it in with the chicks. After about 5 minutes take it out and look at it. By this point with them being a week old the hottest spot should be 90°F. Keep a spare bulb in case yours blows out or run 2 lamps.

I moved it to the opposite end and that seemed to correct the issue. I have them in my house and I plan to keep them separate from the rest of my flock for at least 30 days. I wasn't sure if they even needed the lamp anymore because my house stays close to 80 degrees most of the time. When I turn the lamp off they really amp up and make a lot of noise :)

If they are panting and at the opposite side of where the light is stationed they feel overheated. Ideally the chicks should be evenly distributed around the enclosure you are raising them. Buy one of those cheap $2 thermometers you find around an endcap at walmart and place it in with the chicks. After about 5 minutes take it out and look at it. By this point with them being a week old the hottest spot should be 90°F. Keep a spare bulb in case yours blows out or run 2 lamps.
^^^ X2. It's really helpful to keep a thermometer on the floor of the brooder under the lamp. (90 this week then reduce temp by 5 deg per week until they're feathered in. You could raise the lamp, put it an one end so the chicks can move away from it. If it's that warm in the house, you could try just a 75 or 60 watt light bulb. Old fashioned, not the new halogen.

Chicks really don't need as much heat as "they say" they do. Mama broody warms them briefly, then, even in the early spring, they are off and running, searching for that next morsel. They don't spend 24/7 under some arbitrary heat source. I'd recommend that you ditch the heat lamp, step down your wattage, and then see how they act. Any chick that is panting is way too warm. Is there a reason why you want to keep them inside for 30 days? My broody hen kicked her chicks to the curb when they were 4 weeks old. Even before then, they were running around outside all day, every day, and very rarely did they go under her to warm up. For your future brooding pleasure, I recommend this:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/yes-you-certainly-can-brood-chicks-outdoors

There's no need to quarantine freshly hatched chicks. I always start my brooding temperature at 85 degrees.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom