Heated water bowls and extension cords

I use a heavy grounded round cord that won't over heat. Elevate the waterer and put ceramic tiles under it to keep the chickens from getting straw in the connections. put pins over the cord to keep the chickens from scratching and moving it pulling the waterer down or unplugging it. Mine plugs in about 6 feet high so I attach the cord to a nearby stud with twist ties so chickens jumping off of the nearby perches don't knock it around or get tangled.

I have used a heated water bowl with an extension cord for years and have never had a problem.

These warnings are for people who don't understand that a high wattage heater draws too much current to use with an inadequate extension cord or careless connection. Two essential guidelines for success with this:

1) Use an extension cord that is outdoor rated and at least 12 AWG ... 10 AWG would be even better ... lower number = thicker wire. These cords will be more expensive than the light-duty ones ... for good reason.

2) Use the shortest extension cord possible that will get the job done. Secure the heater and extension plugs together with something water and poop resistant ... either a retail connection guard - search "Extension Cord Safety Seals" - or several layers quality vinyl tape ... You will hate it later if you use duct tape.)

Enjoy your holiday from chicken care!

I used the idea of a inexpensive waterer heater made from a10" cookie tin. ( available from Hobby Lobby for 50% off ) net cost fro tin was $3.00 plus electric fixtures. You can make the cord as long as needed. You decide. The Chicken Chick posted the information on the BYC website. Check it out.

Don

We have used water bowls for dogs we now have a heated water for chickens it holds about 1 1/2 gallon it uses 75 watts which is fine for extension cords . You just don't want to put a long extension cord on because the longer it is more likely to over heat . You just don't want to put a stock heater in a bucket of water those use up to 1200 watts . We got our new water heated container at Farm and Fleet and at 75 watts you should be able to use a 50 ft. for 75 watts that would be the max of wattage use .

I use ext cords for my birds, I have two heat water bowls, fence charger around coop, use at least a # 14 or # 12 guage cord I use two different circuts done't overload one, works fine for me!!

We use a heated dog dish that only comes on if below 40 degrees - and its been down to -5 here already. We use heavy, outdoor rated extension cord with a "cover" that covers the point where the extension cord and dog bowl cord join. It has little gaskets that prevent water from getting into the connection and keeps the cords from separating.

My Chicken Coop is about 100 yards from the house, and I buried my extension cord about 10 inches in the ground all the way out to it..and have not had any problems for a year.it is attached to a power strip, that I have a heat light and security cameras plugged into..I like to see my chickens on TV, to make sure they are ok..I thought about digging it up and putting it inside some PVC pipe, but just have not gotten around to it

That's crazy, you simply asking for trouble. At the very least you should buy romex cable designed for direct ground burry contact ( Lowes, HD, etc) it should be a minimum 18" deep and have caution film buried at 10-12" to prevent anything/one from digging through the power line, and ANY outdoor power supply MUST be on a GFCI!
Yikes

This is my set up for winter. Dog dish in a house, keeps most dirt out and keeps birds from standing on side of dish and fouling the water
wink.png
. The cement blocks set the height at roughly 6 - 7" or about bird beak height as the roof is only allowing 3 - 4" of access space. Sloping roof is steep enough to keep birds off of the roof, again no fouling of the water. We use a 4' plastic removable pipe and pour water thru the pipe into the bowl. If the bowl does get dirt or 'leaves' dumped into it, we open the gate and clean out as needed. I got a little carried away while dumping leaves into pen, the leaves give the girls purpose as they will scratch them around looking for those little tiny insect types wintering in leaves. Fun for them and fun for us watching them have fun
lau.gif

The plug connection is outside the pen and high away from water. Works well and the extension cord is plugged into a gfi receptacle.

Hope this is useful for your chicken setup.
Charlie

Back
Top Bottom