Heating a in coop brooder?

Harvest Mint

Songster
6 Years
Nov 16, 2016
Kingston, Tennessee
I have a large shed that my family has used as a chicken house for years. I had to replace the floor and decided to revamp the coop since we had to gut the building to get to the floor. I want to add a brooder to the coop so that all birds can see each other and hopefully help with introductions later. My only thing is that I am tired of using regular heat lamps. I was wondering if I could add a light fixture to the brooder to put the heat bulb in it. This would then not be able to fall. I don't know that much about this kind of stuff so i was just wondering.

I don't have funds to buy the heat lamp alternatives and I am using stuff from around the farm.

Last edited:
Hi,
frow.gif

Having a heat lamp in the coop would likely disrupt the older chickens in there. Possibly causing bullying or a whole host of other issues. Many people use a heating pad cave also called mama heating pad. Researching either of those terms should net you some good results.

If you are going to put a fixture for brooding, the clamp lamps usually have another loop that you can attach a chain so you don't have to worry about it falling and starting a fire and should make it easy for adjusting the height when you need to adjust the temperature. They do make little ceramic heating coils that can go in them which do not put out light. They look similar to an electric stove heating element. Probably in the reptile department.

I have used bulbs before. And I have to replace them all the time. I don't know how long that other heating element would last. But I have heating pads that have lasted a decade easily. So even though there is more upfront cost for the pad it likely levels out long term. If you do go with the heating pad, make sure it is able to have the 2 hour shut off timer disabled.
Even if you don't think you know that much about this stuff, you are thinking along the right lines.
thumbsup.gif
Raising chicks with the flock is a great way to go.

Good luck with your new adventure!

This is what I've had setup with my heating lamp in my coop for two years without a single incident:

1) I took a wire mesh waste basket from the house. It's just big enough to mount the lamp on the ledge and the rim contains the entire lighting fixture. If the clamp comes loose then the light will fall into the metal basket and be safe.

2) I put a heavy brick in the bottom of the basket so it cannot be tipped over. It is heavy enough the birds could jump onto the rim of the basket and not tip it. But I also put the basket in a corner where birds can't get to the back half of the rim (and won't land on the front of the rim because it is too hot in front of the lamp).

If you're going to use a heat lamp, take serious precautions.

0bfa3ecd-4f82-4530-a1e9-ba05142761d2_1.735b17d5f685100c93bd98ae22afd642.jpeg

It was really cold the past week so i had two heat lamps going in case one went out. I am so glad I did. I had a heat lamp go out twice. Has anyone else had problems with the glass part of the bulb separating from the metal part.

It was really cold the past week so i had two heat lamps going in case one went out. I am so glad I did. I had a heat lamp go out twice. Has anyone else had problems with the glass part of the bulb separating from the metal part.
That was a good idea! Yes, I have had it happen twice in less than 12 months. Thought it was just me.
hmm.png
Thinking even though Mama heating pad may be more pricey up front that she will far pay for herself throughout the years to come! Bulbs aren't cheap and losing chicks would be quite upsetting. I do now have a backup bulb... but thinking it's best to completely move away from them.

Great job, thinking ahead! And thanks for sharing.
thumbsup.gif

Yes! Those big globe ones they make now are horrible! The older style was much more heavy duty.
But these days they have yet another type that has a very small infrared bulb and comes in 250 W I have one and I have been quit impressed

Back
Top Bottom