concrete pavers bricks and heat plate

sebbb

Hatching
Jan 7, 2024
nevada usa
hello, I have a bunch of concrete brick pavers from a project I finished a while ago and I know a heat lamp (don't have one) will work but I'm trying to put good use to the bricks if possible. they are currently an eye-sore my coop got cold last night and I had 2 full-grown chickens die i put my brooder heat plate that I used for my chicks in there so the chickens can huddle around it i also just wrapped my coop to minimize the airflow. do you guys think that if I put some pavers close if not touching the brooder heat plate will the bricks absorb the heat and radiate it back off? In the summer those bricks get hot but the brooder plate is not the same as the sun any info would be appreciated I wouldn't mind buying an IR heat lamp if that would work better combined with the pavers

How cold is it there? Was your coop heated before?
It was 19 F last night but it snowed the day before we also had high gusts of wind last night and the forecast says we will have more in this coming week no it's never been heated until this morning when I found the 2 chickens dead I seen coops catching on fire with heat lamps on the news so I wanted the avoid the possible risk but regret not doing something sooner

It was 19 F last night but it snowed the day before we also had high gusts of wind last night and the forecast says we will have more in this coming week no it's never been heated until this morning when I found the 2 chickens dead I seen coops catching on fire with heat lamps on the news so I wanted the avoid the possible risk but regret not doing something sooner
That's not too cold for them as long as they aren't sitting in drafts. I'm sorry you lost them. Heating a coop is often causes more issues than it solves.

Please put your location in your avatar.

I have never had a chicken or duck die from cold weather, even below zero.
Wrapping your coop may not have been a good idea If you cut off the ventilation.

What types of birds were these, and how old?

My chickens will still opt to sleep right up against an open window at 12F. 19F is no problem at all for healthy teen or adult chickens with a well ventilated but dry and draft free area to huddle in.

That's not too cold for them as long as they aren't sitting in drafts. I'm sorry you lost them. Heating a coop is often causes more issues than it solves.
this is my first year ever having chickens i live in Nevada so i didn't want to buy a heat lamp i have seen pros and cons online but since i live in Nevada didn't think i would ever need one but i decided to remove the heat plate and let them be and today they are fine

Please put your location in your avatar.

I have never had a chicken or duck die from cold weather, even below zero.
Wrapping your coop may not have been a good idea If you cut off the ventilation.
I didn't wrap it all the way I just went from the bottom up 3 feet all the way around so no wind could pass down low its not 100 percent so some is venting down below but significantly stopped the breeze also waist height and above its open chicken wire for wind to pass through

What types of birds were these, and how old?

My chickens will still opt to sleep right up against an open window at 12F. 19F is no problem at all for healthy teen or adult chickens with a well ventilated but dry and draft free area to huddle in.
this is my first year and first set of chickens I'm not sure what type of birds they are my mom's friend had some full-grown hens and roosters and gave us the offspring and i might have also jumped the gun and got scared yesterday i wrapped the bottom 3ft so there is little to no draft in the coop/run and today they seemed way better

Back
Top Bottom