Heating Chicken Coop???

I use a oil heater in the chicken coop at night. When it’s cold it puts off just enough heat to warm the coop.

it has no red heat so less fire risk. Just hot metal. 7FEC9246-D052-41CD-AA1D-1B0F0AFCAE1B.jpeg

Had considered using the mylar bubble wrap insulation, but had concerns the chickens would peck at it. Are your chickens leaving it alone or did you cover it somehow? Thank you 😊
No. One or two pecked and pulled at it but lost interest. It's fairly tough. Foam insulation is a horse of a different color. We put some in areas I thought were covered, but these wenches tore up the floor to get at it, so we took it out. They then broke into my husband's shop to eat it. We had to put it in the ceiling racks to keep it away from them.

Are you able to post pics of your coop with roosts and show what, if any, ventilation ports you may have around the junction between wall and ceiling?

Do you leave windows open where a cold draft hits the chickens while perched on the roosts?

Leaving a light, even a red one, on 24/7 messes with laying hormones, you realize. Pre-POL pullets can be triggered to lay too soon and older hens triggered to keep laying through short winter days when they should be taking a breather to replenish energy and nutrients. And you've seen how it interferes with their sleep.

First, care should be taken to prevent direct drafts. Second, exhaust vents positioned along the top of the walls must be employed to carry away moist air that could condense on combs to cause frostbite.

A space heater of the sealed oil-filled variety could be set to a low setting to keep the coop just above freezing on zero degree nights. Flat wall infrared heaters can be positioned where the chickens can be warmed by them as they roost. I use both of these types of heaters in my two coops to keep temps just above 32F, and it works just fine to prevent frostbite.
@azygous do you have particular brands you recommend for the oil-filled space heater and infrared heater? I'm seeing such mixed reviews on various options on Amazon, so just wondering if a particular brand might be more reliable than others. I'm also in Colorado and worried about the drop from 48 degree day to -11 degree night we have forecasted this week. Yikes.

My flat heater is a Cozy Coop. It's worked spendidly for many years. I love how it doesn't take up any space. I don't know the brand of the oil filled heater, but I'm sure they're all the same.

Yeah, I just noticed with horror the NOAA weather site has a new arctic image icon for the daytime "high" of 9F for Thursday. That's going to produce some grumbling among the flock. We'll see how many can squeeze under the heat lamp I hang in the run during the day during such deep freezes. I get to see the flock pecking order ranking at a single glance on such days.

My flat heater is a Cozy Coop. It's worked spendidly for many years. I love how it doesn't take up any space. I don't know the brand of the oil filled heater, but I'm sure they're all the same.

Yeah, I just noticed with horror the NOAA weather site has a new arctic image icon for the daytime "high" of 9F for Thursday. That's going to produce some grumbling among the flock. We'll see how many can squeeze under the heat lamp I hang in the run during the day during such deep freezes. I get to see the flock pecking order ranking at a single glance on such days.
Man, that is so true! My poor little red is at the bottom of the pecking order and the others won't let her roost with them anymore up where it is warmest. She's taken to sleeping in a nesting box. Even if I try to put her up with them late at night, usually still find the next morning that she's ended up in the box anyway. I may try sneaking one of those little plastic heated pads for chicks in there with her for the subzero night, as well, if needed. She ironically could end up coziest of them all... Though I hope it doesn't come to that - heaters are all a bit scary.

Worried also about one who is semi-naked in molt right now, of course, with perfect timing. So she might need some special monitoring. But at least she gets to snuggle up with the others!

Thank you very much for the brand advice - purchased! Hopefully I can keep everyone safe and healthy in these low temps! Best of luck for your flock, too, but I know you are a supremely wise and wonderful pro, so I'm sure all will be well for you!

I have two Cozy Coop heaters, just mounted. I did two directly behind the top roosts so all the chickens would have access to one during these awful weather conditions were about to have, in a few hours.

My question is...is this a good place for them? I figured this way their feet and face would be nearest them for warmth. If they're too warm, they can move down. That window above the one heater will be closed.

I was a little worried about them falling asleep and their faces getting burnt on the heater?

Also, do you know how long they can safely be left on? We will have wind chills down to negative 30 with temps just below zero for about two days, then a "warmup" to about 10 to 15 degrees. I'm just trying to get them through those toughest couple days.

Attachments

• PXL_20221222_162725551.jpg
    PXL_20221222_162725551.jpg
    653.5 KB · Views: 7
No, there shouldn't be any danger of chickens burning themselves on the Cozy Coop heaters. I've left mine on day and night for several days running with no issues. And yes, behind the roosts is a good place to hang them. I have the one in my smaller coop centered on the two roosting perches.

No, there shouldn't be any danger of chickens burning themselves on the Cozy Coop heaters. I've left mine on day and night for several days running with no issues. And yes, behind the roosts is a good place to hang them. I have the one in my smaller coop centered on the two roosting perches.
Perfect. Thank you. With all the heated coop horror stories, aim quite uneasy. Hoping this will be a safe, emergency solution for these extra cold days.

If I put my new cozy coop heater 4' away from my girl's roosts, will it do anything for them?
If I put it behind the roosts, I think it'll be very warm for the top birds and nothing for the lower ones. They are on a 3' wide ladder system, 3 rungs high, lowest roost about 12" off the floor.

Back
Top Bottom