Heating Chicken Coop???

If I put my new cozy coop heater 4' away from my girl's roosts, will it do anything for them?
If I put it behind the roosts, I think it'll be very warm for the top birds and nothing for the lower ones. They are on a 3' wide ladder system, 3 rungs high, lowest roost about 12" off the floor.
I put two heaters about 4 inches away from their top roost. The two birds who were on the bottom roost I simply relocated to the top so everyone was closer to it.

If the Coop heater is set to low, the heat really doesn't radiate off the heater. BUT, it seems like the heater still gradually warms the overly coop a bit, which I like. On high, the heat radiates outward where you can feel it a few inches away. However, I debated using it on high out of concern that it may raise it too much in comparison to the outdoor temp.

Are you able to post pics of your coop with roosts and show what, if any, ventilation ports you may have around the junction between wall and ceiling?

Do you leave windows open where a cold draft hits the chickens while perched on the roosts?

Leaving a light, even a red one, on 24/7 messes with laying hormones, you realize. Pre-POL pullets can be triggered to lay too soon and older hens triggered to keep laying through short winter days when they should be taking a breather to replenish energy and nutrients. And you've seen how it interferes with their sleep.

First, care should be taken to prevent direct drafts. Second, exhaust vents positioned along the top of the walls must be employed to carry away moist air that could condense on combs to cause frostbite.

A space heater of the sealed oil-filled variety could be set to a low setting to keep the coop just above freezing on zero degree nights. Flat wall infrared heaters can be positioned where the chickens can be warmed by them as they roost. I use both of these types of heaters in my two coops to keep temps just above 32F, and it works just fine to prevent frostbite.
I'm interested in your oil filled space heater solution. Really trying to avoid adding heat in coop but a few birds were stressed this morning after cold blowing night. Just want to help them keep chill off. Any heater recommendations for an oil filled unit?

The oil heater is a space heater, so it doesn't matter how close or far from the roosts it is placed. Nothing coming into contact with any part of the heater will catch fire. At the temperature you will operate it, it won't even get so hot you can't touch it. let alone cause wood shavings to catch fire.

I do place a board under it so it has a level surface to stand on so it won't be tippy. It goes on the floor, and doesn't need to be elevated.

They have access to the heater. They jump up onto it sometimes. It's not hot enough to burn. It is not a surface they find comfortable to roost on, though. It does not get hot enough to burn tissue at the settings I use.

Back
Top Bottom