Heating plate instead of lamp

Nov 22, 2019
NC
I’m incubating a batch of chicks and they only have one week leftish and was thinking of using a heat plate for the first time. The brand I was planning on using is Producer’s Pride is it any good? And how do you introduce chicks to a heat plate? There’s also going to be around 12 chicks is one plate big enough?

Attachments

• 6A8160C3-56F2-4F40-A427-4C7736DDD248.jpeg
    6A8160C3-56F2-4F40-A427-4C7736DDD248.jpeg
    196.4 KB · Views: 59
(I'm a chicken noob)

I just bought that exact model and put it in to use recently. at least it looks like it. I grabbed it from atwoods I think, possibly TSC. So far I'm happy with it. I just took the chicks from the incubator and gently nudged them under the edge of that heat plate in the brooder and they took to it immediately. I think I started them with half the legs on the lowest setting, and half on the middle, so it had a range of height under it.

Another I received with a brooder tent doesn't get near as hot and I don't like how its legs work. The one you pictured is hot to the touch, mildly painfully so. The other is just kinda warm. I decided to go with the hot one.

Last year will now be the last time I bother using heat lamps for brooding. I love that heat plate.

I’m incubating a batch of chicks and they only have one week leftish and was thinking of using a heat plate for the first time. The brand I was planning on using is Producer’s Pride is it any good? And how do you introduce chicks to a heat plate? There’s also going to be around 12 chicks is one plate big enough?
If they only have a week left, why go to the trouble of switching?

Yes! I am using this exact one now! So far I am loving it! My chicks seem to be trhiving and doing well. I got them last Friday, so I've had them almost a week.

One more question my brooder is outside but I normally plastic up the sides most of the way (leaving room for ventilation) will the plate keep them warm enough?

Back
Top Bottom