Heavy Breathing...

chickneggs

Songster
10 Years
May 15, 2013
UpNorth ☀️
This morning, I thought everything was going good in the coop... went out a few minutes ago and my chicken (Dotty, my most talkative), sounds like she's having a tough time with breathing. She seems to be eating and drinking fine. What could I be dealing with?? I checked for bugs and she looks to be clean. Not sure where else to turn. The coop was deep cleaned a few weeks ago... so that shouldn't be an issue. Please help!

Oh and it looked like she got a bout of frostbite overnight, which is weird as she wasn’t exposed to the elements… makes me question that as well.

And I did take a video, but cannot upload it for some reason. 😫

Last edited:
Noisy breathing is caused by a partial obstruction of the airway. The good news is that if it came on suddenly and your hen otherwise seems fine she most likely got a bit a food stuck in her throat and should clear up on its own within a day or so (this happens to one of my girls at least once a year). I couldn't see your hen's comb really well in the video, but I'm assuming that's where you noticed possible frostbite. If so and you just noticed the tips of her comb were a little darker than usual that could be due to getting a little less oxygen than normal (again I wouldn't worry too much as she is walking about and acting normal).

Noisy breathing is caused by a partial obstruction of the airway. The good news is that if it came on suddenly and your hen otherwise seems fine she most likely got a bit a food stuck in her throat and should clear up on its own within a day or so (this happens to one of my girls at least once a year). I couldn't see your hen's comb really well in the video, but I'm assuming that's where you noticed possible frostbite. If so and you just noticed the tips of her comb were a little darker than usual that could be due to getting a little less oxygen than normal (again I wouldn't worry too much as she is walking about and acting normal).
She did seem better last night. I was so thrilled to see her on the roost, ready for bed! I was wondering yesterday if me accidentally buying pelleted food (not crumbles, like I have for years), if the pelleted food could've caused a partial obstruction? Lol The pieces are a bit bigger. I did go and get the crumbles later and have been mixing the two. Should I just stick to the crumbles or do you think it was something else?

Oh and with the comb; I wasn't too worried about that as I've had chickens get darkened combs before from frostbite (the first winter here🫣); only that she had gotten it on a night when she wasn't exposed to the elements and all the other's combs seemed fine. Her's was just random. But wasn't AS worried about that; just figured I'd mention it, if the two could somehow be related.

And thank you, Razzlefrazzle. I'm going on 10 years having chickens and the first five went smooth; the issues were easy to figure out. Then I had to move houses and areas (used to be in the woods, now by a lake) and it seems like the last 5 years, I've been dealing with so many new issues and none are simple. And often, it's been with the new environment. So I've become uptight about my girl's health and any little thing worries me. I'm soooo glad this time, the issue was simple and fixed itself. My oldest chicken will be 10 this spring (she's the last of my originals) and I'm planning to retire the coop after she passes. Perhaps if I'm able to sell and move back to a better [chicken] area, I will start again. But until then, a break is def needed.

Last edited:
I was wondering yesterday if me accidentally buying pelleted food (not crumbles, like I have for years), if the pelleted food could've caused a partial obstruction? Lol The pieces are a bit bigger. I did go and get the crumbles later and have been mixing the two. Should I just stick to the crumbles or do you think it was something else?
It probably was a pellet, but it can really happen with any food. I think you're fine continuing to mix the two and hopefully your girl will be a little more careful when eating.

Also congrats on getting a chicken to 10! (And I completely understand the sentiment about needing a break... after about 7 yrs I'm pretty much exhausted and I feel like even my garden is saying "please no more chicken poop" 🙃)

It probably was a pellet, but it can really happen with any food. I think you're fine continuing to mix the two and hopefully your girl will be a little more careful when eating.

Also congrats on getting a chicken to 10! (And I completely understand the sentiment about needing a break... after about 7 yrs I'm pretty much exhausted and I feel like even my garden is saying "please no more chicken poop" 🙃)
Thank you! She's an amazing Easter Egger and still lays me a green egg every now and then, even amidst this cold winter. And she def shows her aged wisdom in the flock... it beings me a good chuckle. "Bird brain" ought to be a compliment! They understand and listen better than some humans... 🤔 Although I do meet you on the garden issue... during the summer, my flowerbeds are tired of being victims of dustbathing. Nothing like wood chips being everywhere, BUT where they should be.

Back
Top Bottom