Hedemora Thread

Pics
Been reading this thread and how docile this breed is. Someone mentioned the hens are rather quiet - how about the Roos? I know all Roos crow - some louder, some quieter, some shrillier... how about Hedemora Roos? What's their crow like? Loud? Soft? Frequent????

Here are some pictures of my hedemora. I had to dub my rooster as he had horrible frostbite. I guess that is the only reason I think chantecler are superior winter-wise

Poor little dubbed man! He's fine, though. He's the calmest, sweetest rooster I've ever had. Maybe one of the loudest crows I've heard, also.

Snowpetals, your birds are gorgeous!

I have several Hedemoras growing out and am interested in hatching a few more. We're really enjoying their personalities. Does anyone have hatching eggs available or know of any?

I'll have some hatching eggs probably in mid-April. Would you be interested in an egg swap?
Sending you a pm!
big_smile.png

I've forgotten about this forum for some time, i guess i've been busy shovelling snow...

My beautiful cockerel died for no obvious reason; i found him dead one morning in the coop.
sad.png
After a few nervous weeks looking for any signs of disease among the hens i got a new one about two weeks ago - and of course i just had to get two more hens at the same time.
wink.png

One of them is a real character! All of my hens are really friendly even though i wouldn't call them docile. This one, Chippie (Hill), goes a step beyond that though. Today i got company when i checked on my flock:

Regarding frostbite i believe humidity is much more of a problem than temperature, the coop i have has no heating and when it's really cold the temperature in there drops to -10 C. The chicken have no problem with that, they behave like they always do, but i have to give them fresh water several times a day and i also feed them som extras, e g warm oatmeal. However, the coop is well insulated, well ventilated and i've made sure the draft is at a minimum.

When there's' a lot of snow they're not very interested in going out, they don't mind the temperature, they just don't like getting walking in snow.
roll.png
They love eating the white stuff though!

Here are some pictures of my hedemora. I had to dub my rooster as he had horrible frostbite. I guess that is the only reason I think chantecler are superior winter-wise

Poor little dubbed man! He's fine, though. He's the calmest, sweetest rooster I've ever had. Maybe one of the loudest crows I've heard, also.

Beautiful, i love your hens!

I've forgotten about this forum for some time, i guess i've been busy shovelling snow...

My beautiful cockerel died for no obvious reason; i found him dead one morning in the coop.
sad.png
After a few nervous weeks looking for any signs of disease among the hens i got a new one about two weeks ago - and of course i just had to get two more hens at the same time.
wink.png

One of them is a real character! All of my hens are really friendly even though i wouldn't call them docile. This one, Chippie (Hill), goes a step beyond that though. Today i got company when i checked on my flock:

Regarding frostbite i believe humidity is much more of a problem than temperature, the coop i have has no heating and when it's really cold the temperature in there drops to -10 C. The chicken have no problem with that, they behave like they always do, but i have to give them fresh water several times a day and i also feed them som extras, e g warm oatmeal. However, the coop is well insulated, well ventilated and i've made sure the draft is at a minimum.

When there's' a lot of snow they're not very interested in going out, they don't mind the temperature, they just don't like getting walking in snow.
roll.png
They love eating the white stuff though!
What a pretty hen! I don't think of them as particularly docile either, though they are endearing. So sorry about the loss of your cockerel. Always worse when you don't know why!

How common are the silkied types, I'm curious..

How common are the silkied types, I'm curious..

I'm not sure, not very common i think. It's a fully accepted variety, but since these hens should not be bred for appearance hedemora owners are adviced not to breed specifically to get wolly animals, in the same way as colour should not be an aspect in breeding.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom