Hedemora Thread

Pics
I am having the toughest time sexing my 7 week old Hedemoras, though I am positive the black fella is a roo.
Here are 3 of my 6 from yesterday, need to track down the other 3 when I get home.

I am in Indiana - I have a juvenile pair I might be willing to part with.  A white cockerel and a splash pullet.  They are around 16 weeks old I believe.  I wouldn't want to ship them though, they would be pick up only.

Where in Indiana? And how much are you asking?

So is there a concern with breeding wooley to wooley? I thought I read there was ( like frizzle to frizzle), but there isn't a problem breeding silkies, so now I'm confused. Am I more concerned than I should be?

My favorite little man

So is there a concern with breeding wooley to wooley? I thought I read there was ( like frizzle to frizzle), but there isn't a problem breeding silkies, so now I'm confused. Am I more concerned than I should be?
I haven't heard of any genetic health issue. My understanding from reading Swedish web sites is that woolies are rare there, and considered a consequence of inadequate genetic diversity. The pictures posted of native flocks are overwhelmingly smooth feathered birds. If I hang in there with this landrace, I'll be attempting to create a flock similiar to what I see there. I know that selecting for specific traits is frowned upon but I can only keep so many roosters so I'll be keeping the "smoothies". I think I hatched 15 Hedemora this year and 11 were woolies.

My favorite little man

The woolies get attention but I find my black/gold smooth pullets some of the prettiest chickens I've kept. They have extraordinary iridescence.

Is this a hedemora? I lost a few legabnds and I cant tell if this is a heddie or an Isbar. She's not as fluffy as my other smooth feathered heddie, and a smidge bigger than him (but on the small side for my isbars of the same age)

Is this a hedemora? I lost a few legabnds and I cant tell if this is a heddie or an Isbar. She's not as fluffy as my other smooth feathered heddie, and a smidge bigger than him (but on the small side for my isbars of the same age)

Are those feather stubs on the legs? If so then I would guess Hedemora. I don't think Isbars have leg feathering but I don't know them.

Hi, I have a pair of Hedemora's that I am looking to re-home. I am located in Indiana and would rather not ship if it can be avoided. Please make me an offer if you are interested!

Back
Top Bottom