Height for new world quail

back123yard1470

In the Brooder
Oct 6, 2021
I am thinking of doing a cross between a battery cage and a quail hutch for California quail. How high should it be. It will be used for breeding purposes so a ratio of 1:1-2. So also how big should it be.

The rule of thumb is either too short for them to reach sufficient velocity to break their necks when flushing (about 18") or tall enough that they slow down before hitting (about 6'). For CA quail, you're better off with the 6' tall aviary setting. They need more space than coturnix and more hiding places.

Okay! Also if I am keep 1 male and 2 females how big should the enclosure be. Is the 2 females okay or will the male only mate with 1 female.

Last edited:
CA quail are usually kept in pairs. With the wild types of quail, my rule of thumb would be about 3 square feet per bird (minimum).

If you're in the US, make sure you have a permit for them.

Okay! Also if I am keep 1 male and 2 females how big should the enclosure be. Is the 2 females okay or will the male only mate with 1 female.
I’ve heard you will have the best luck of keeping 1:2 if they all hatched from the same brood and lived together from hatch. Sometimes a trio will work, sometimes the male will only mate one, sometimes the odd female will get attacked. Your best bet is a large aviary setting with many hiding places and tall grasses or plants (real or fake).

I'm going to say the same answer as with CA quail. If they were raised together, there's a better chance, but it really depends on the personalities of the birds. Pairs work best.

Back
Top Bottom