Should I trust this chicken coop for my quails?

Masaj Mahrhad

In the Brooder
May 25, 2023
This chicken coop was gifted to me by my parents, because I am incubating 32 eggs which will hatch soon. But I don’t trust coop, because it sits on the ground level, and predator critters can easily dig under the fence and attack them. It has a ramp and a roosting house above ground, but the quails do not climb up there like chickens do.
So they are still easy prey for intruders.
Not only that, but it is really difficult to crawl into this coop to recover my quails’ eggs when they lay them in the dirt. A friend of mine put new quails in her chicken coop, and they were killed by raccoons on the first night, because they didn’t roost up with the chickens.

I already have a homemade quail hutch that’s 3x2x3. It has screens on the sides and bottom. It’s secured with a padlock and no predators get in.

With this said, can I trust this chicken coop to protect my quails overnight? Or should I just sell it, and build a 2nd quail hutch?

AC85B12E-53FB-4424-80E2-7D2C4E3CA865.jpeg

Attachments

• 989A9F67-900D-45A7-8273-69A923E833AA.jpeg
    989A9F67-900D-45A7-8273-69A923E833AA.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
I raise quail.
I wouldn't keep 5 or 6 quail in it but ONLY if it were inside a secure/predator proof area and no more than just 5 - 6 birds.
I would not use it as is.

Can you build something around it?

It certainly doesn't look predator proof as is. As you said, it also looks like you'd have issues collecting eggs. Unless you can build something secure around it, I'd do something different.
That said, I have a four level cage that was given to me. I think it originally was used for a chinchilla, but I've got 15 jumbo coturnix in it and they climb up and down the ramps all the time.

Back
Top Bottom