Hello! and welcome to the OEGB thread.

These birds would most likely be only for showmanship unless they turn into something pretty spectacular. I already breed and show other bantam breeds, but I was hoping to find my brother his own little pet bird, just for showmanship
smile.png

From my experience with different breeds, the OEGBs are some of the BEST for young kids to start showing. I have had several different bantams (Mille Fleur d'uccle, cochins, rosecombs, OEGB's, seabrights, seramas and several others) I like the personality of the OEGB's the best of all my chickens. Of course a lot of how a chicken "shows" is in the handling and preparation. Good luck to you in finding some nice birds and getting your brother started with them.

I haven't visited this thread for a while, but am catching up. I've hatched a few silver duckwing OE's. I just love them and am eager to see how they turn out. My BBreds have been rather lazy and I'm not getting eggs from them yet. Not sure why, I have one lone ginger red pullet that has been laying well, but I don't have a ginger red cockerell! Right now she is keeping company with a serama rooster, but I don't plan to hatch anything from that. I'm still trying to decide what to do with her. She is such a sweetheart, wish I could find her a nice ginger red cockerell to put with her. I don't know if she is "show quality" but she is fairly nice.

I wish my creles would start laying. They're all in a heavy molt. I did get a few eggs earlier this year. About 6 cockerels and 2 pullets, so far. Silver duckwings are a really nice colored bird.

I thought they were spangled but several people told me they were BBR.
Do they look SQ, or do they have too much white? I will post more pics of them when they hit 5 weeks.

You ar ein for a long wait for an answer there, spangled are hard you will have male and female lines as normal but with spangled you also have pullet and cockrell lines since teh mottling increases with each molt. Then at best you can expect 15-20% of top show birds from a very well established line.

I wish my creles would start laying. They're all in a heavy molt. I did get a few eggs earlier this year. About 6 cockerels and 2 pullets, so far. Silver duckwings are a really nice colored bird.

Thats a shame, I'm about 300 up for the year so far, getting ready and pens set for pullet matings.

Although I would love to have that many, I do know how many I can handle without over crowding. And thats about 40. So thats what I'll shoot for. I do cull and sale a few to make room for the better ones. One of these days I might have that many chicks.
smile.png

Last edited:
5 weeks old now. What do you all think, is Ginger a cockerel or pullet?

Bunty the undeniable cockerel has much more red in the comb and his wattles have dropped considerably. Despite the fact that he's super cute and easy to handle, he'll be looking for a new home soon if anyone is interested.

Although I would love to have that many, I do know how many I can handle without over crowding. And thats about 40. So thats what I'll shoot for. I do cull and sale a few to make room for the better ones. One of these days I might have that many chicks.
smile.png

Thats how it works hatch and raise what you have room for. Over crowding is never good as they will pick on each other and not grow right.
I have a target of 900 opal, made some great strides in improving the last generation so I am re-inforcing those traits while working toward a shorter high carried wing as well. From the 900 I plan to hatch I expect to keep only about 25.
I have a target of 3-400 Columbian looking for shorter leg, higher tighter carried wings and better head / beak structure.
Birchen I have 5 matings 2 for males and 3 for pullets, I have a lot of culls in this variety at this point due to size, color and lacing but the size has already come down alot, color is improving, after 3 years of working on size and type I am getting very close had a few pullets last year I really liked and using them this year with a nice cock bird also have have a brother of thiers mated back to his mother to re-inforce size, type traits I want to get set.
It looks as though we will be showing a few Birchen, but mostly Opal and Columbian this year. Most of the matings I have are actually designed to produce the breeder birds I need so that next year will be better.
Of course I am also in the process of starting Birchen and Columbian in Rosecomb and will start the Opal this fall. If all goes to plan I should be able to eliminate the Blue wheaton and Brassy back this year as they will no longer be needed and teh Brown Red likely spring of 2013 will leave as well.

Last edited:
Dingo,
Those are both cockrells..

OK, someone here was looking to get a younger brother some OE to show.. I ahve a few that are old enough to know they will make good show prospects. I know I have 2 Brown Red pullets looking very good with good lacing, I also have some columbian, and a breeder pen of Brassy Back. PM or call if interested.

Back
Top Bottom