Hello! and welcome to the OEGB thread.

Really, you'd expect a Phoenix Bantam to have leaden blue legs. Can't tell if this bird's legs are white or yellow. If white you'd think he'd be a BB Red OEGB, if yellow possibly a Light Brown Leghorn but white or yellow I'd never have suspected he was a Phoenix.
Good thing there are people here who can recognize the unusual breeds like light legged Phoenix.

The neck feathers look off though.

Really, you'd expect a Phoenix Bantam to have leaden blue legs. Can't tell if this bird's legs are white or yellow. If white you'd think he'd be a BB Red OEGB, if yellow possibly a Light Brown Leghorn but white or yellow I'd never have suspected he was a Phoenix.
Good thing there are people here who can recognize the unusual breeds like light legged Phoenix.

His legs look yellow to me. It is common for purebred hatchery birds have the wrong shank or eye color.

One of my friends had some and they had the same coloring and the bb red coloring is a whole lot different though.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure NYREDS has forgotten more chicken knowledge than most of us will learn. Don't get defensive and start posting.....go look in the standards to see what he is talking about. We can't learn anything if we are talking at the same time...just saying

You know what it may be a BB Red. I got to looking and it might just be that. My friend had some phoneix bantams and they looked just like that, too. It may just be the juvenile coloring.

I recently purchased a pair of Black OEGB. The pullet is laying and eggs are progressing nicely. Does this breed have any special nutritional requirements as chicks? Higher protein starter? The came from a well known breeder and are at least breeder quality.

Also, I was told they are "female line". What makes a black bird "female line"? I understand why that occurs in some colored varieties, but not Black.

I recently purchased a pair of Black OEGB.  The pullet is laying and eggs are progressing nicely.  Does this breed have any special nutritional requirements as chicks?  Higher protein starter?  The came from a well known breeder and are at least breeder quality.

Also, I was told they are "female line".  What makes a black bird "female line"?  I understand why that occurs in some colored varieties, but not Black.

Feeding is always a topic with lots of opinions. Scientifically, no there is no different nutritional requirements for OEGB than other breeds.

As far as "female line" you'd be best asking the breeder, but usually what it means is that particular line produces better females than males in their opinion. Most of the breeders I've heard use that term have shorter backed males with extra wide tails and high tail angle which they say produces better females for show.

Feeding is always a topic with lots of opinions. Scientifically, no there is no different nutritional requirements for OEGB than other breeds.

As far as "female line" you'd be best asking the breeder, but usually what it means is that particular line produces better females than males in their opinion. Most of the breeders I've heard use that term have shorter backed males with extra wide tails and high tail angle which they say produces better females for show.
Thanks for the reply!

Female line means that your pair of birds will produce "show quality" female birds. Your males that are produced from your pair will have higher tail carriage and smaller frames. Of course, their is always a chance of that special male birds that comes from a "female line" breeding.

Male line birds produce males that are show quality. Female line birds produce females that are show quality.

I hope this helps, not good at explaining things. I feed my OEGB's a good layer pellet with scratch grains. When I can find it I get a bag of game cock ration and use it.

Back
Top Bottom