Hello everyone, Newbie to Call Ducks, Question on Call Duck Growth

Zhengwenc

In the Brooder
May 24, 2022
Hello everyone, I am very new to call ducks, and very excited.
Couple months ago, I purchased a dozen call duck eggs from a lady. 8 of them were actually fertilized, so very exciting moment. However, 2 stopped growing unfortunately. I had searched quite a bit information about call ducks before getting the eggs, so I was prepared. luckily, all rest 6 were hatched, and of course, I did help them a little bit.
1.jpg

They were absolutely cute and adorable! These are the pictures when they are within 1 week old.
2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

And this is when we gave them the 1st bath when they were 5 days old. We were worried about getting them out of the brooder to have the bath would be too cold, so we put the water bowl inside the brooder, haha.
7.jpg

When they are about 3 weeks old, we started to put them outside (in a large chicken coop) for the day time, and move them into the garage for night time. We live in Washington. These days are pretty hot in the day time, but sometimes the night is still cold.
Also, we have friends who are very interested in call ducks, and we said we would gave them one or two depends on how many we could actually hatch. Since we have 6 hatched, we gave them 2 ducks, so we only have 4 now.
These are the pictures from 1 week old to now (they are 32 days old as of today).
8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

And by the way, we named them based on the minions. Two relatively bigger ones are Kevin and Dave, the smaller one is Stuart, and the very tiny one is Bob.
Kevin and Dave are growing faster than Stuart and Bob, they are heavier and bigger. Also they are pretty naughty.
I think Stuart is a girl, because Stuart is getting feather around the same speed as Kevin and Dave, but Stuart is a lot lighter than Kevin and Dave. And Stuart is very nice and gentle.
Bob is very interesting, it looks like he is not growing at all. All other 3 are 70% to 80% white now, and Bob is still a little yellow duck. Just by the look, Bob is more like a 2-week old duckling, not a 4 week old one.
I made following two charts to show how they grow in weight (grams) and the bill length (cm).
27.jpg

26.jpg

So I have 2 questions:
1. How normally call ducklings growth curve looks like? I want to see how mines grow comparing to how normally a call duckling should grow, and I also want to have an idea how much more Kevin, Dave and Stuart will continue grow.
2. Has anyone seen a case like Bob? I did a little research and seems like there is a few like Bob, but just curious.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    515.2 KB · Views: 4
I had one last year that was slow growing like that but she turned out just fine... Healthy and happy just tiny. We call her little bit.
20210916_151552_HDR.jpg
she is some bigger than this now, but not a whole lot. Her hatchmates were already double her size when this picture was taken.

Hello everyone, I am very new to call ducks, and very excited.
Couple months ago, I purchased a dozen call duck eggs from a lady. 8 of them were actually fertilized, so very exciting moment. However, 2 stopped growing unfortunately. I had searched quite a bit information about call ducks before getting the eggs, so I was prepared. luckily, all rest 6 were hatched, and of course, I did help them a little bit.
View attachment 3196589
They were absolutely cute and adorable! These are the pictures when they are within 1 week old.
View attachment 3196590
View attachment 3196591
View attachment 3196592
View attachment 3196593
View attachment 3196594
And this is when we gave them the 1st bath when they were 5 days old. We were worried about getting them out of the brooder to have the bath would be too cold, so we put the water bowl inside the brooder, haha.
View attachment 3196595
When they are about 3 weeks old, we started to put them outside (in a large chicken coop) for the day time, and move them into the garage for night time. We live in Washington. These days are pretty hot in the day time, but sometimes the night is still cold.
Also, we have friends who are very interested in call ducks, and we said we would gave them one or two depends on how many we could actually hatch. Since we have 6 hatched, we gave them 2 ducks, so we only have 4 now.
These are the pictures from 1 week old to now (they are 32 days old as of today).
View attachment 3196598
View attachment 3196606
View attachment 3196599
View attachment 3196600
View attachment 3196601
View attachment 3196602
View attachment 3196603
View attachment 3196604
View attachment 3196607
View attachment 3196608
View attachment 3196609
View attachment 3196610
View attachment 3196611
View attachment 3196612
View attachment 3196613
View attachment 3196614
View attachment 3196615
View attachment 3196616
And by the way, we named them based on the minions. Two relatively bigger ones are Kevin and Dave, the smaller one is Stuart, and the very tiny one is Bob.
Kevin and Dave are growing faster than Stuart and Bob, they are heavier and bigger. Also they are pretty naughty.
I think Stuart is a girl, because Stuart is getting feather around the same speed as Kevin and Dave, but Stuart is a lot lighter than Kevin and Dave. And Stuart is very nice and gentle.
Bob is very interesting, it looks like he is not growing at all. All other 3 are 70% to 80% white now, and Bob is still a little yellow duck. Just by the look, Bob is more like a 2-week old duckling, not a 4 week old one.
I made following two charts to show how they grow in weight (grams) and the bill length (cm).
View attachment 3196617
View attachment 3196618

So I have 2 questions:
1. How normally call ducklings growth curve looks like? I want to see how mines grow comparing to how normally a call duckling should grow, and I also want to have an idea how much more Kevin, Dave and Stuart will continue grow.
2. Has anyone seen a case like Bob? I did a little research and seems like there is a few like Bob, but just curious.

Thanks.
Your ducklings look like they are going to be good quality shape and bill size. Adorable 🥰

I had one last year that was slow growing like that but she turned out just fine... Healthy and happy just tiny. We call her little bit. View attachment 3196672she is some bigger than this now, but not a whole lot. Her hatchmates were already double her size when this picture was taken.
Little bit looks so cute, and she looks so small. Good to know my Bob is not the only one. Haha.

Your ducklings look like they are going to be good quality shape and bill size. Adorable 🥰
Thanks. The two bigger ones have longer bills, at least longer than Stuart. But the long bills give them advantages when eating, so I guess they don’t care. I guess Stuart will be better looking since she seems have a small body and short bill while still at the same feathering growth.

Beautiful little duckies!! :love

I also end up with a few each batch that seem to grow slower than their mates. The tiny ones usually end up being females! I assume they aren’t as aggressive eating, so they just develop a little slower. Totally common in my flock.
You are right, my tiny Bob is not eating crazy like others do, so I kept her with the second small one during night time, so less competition during night time.

Back
Top Bottom