Hello from Heart4Chicks

Heart4Chicks

Chirping
Nov 13, 2019
It was my Grandpa who started me down the road with a love for chickens. When I was five years old, he gave me my own little Bantam flock. However, along came grown-up life and for many years the thought of owning chickens did not cross my mind. Then early Spring last year I happened to be in a Tractor Supply with an enthusiastic sales clerk. Chicken math hit me and 6 sweeties turned into 9 and then into 12.

At the present time, Hubby and I have a flock of 20. Silkies, Naked Necks, Polish, Old English Bantam, Ameraicana and, compliments of two of our original flock, 4 that are half Bantam Old English hen and Silkie Rooster. Our main reason for bringing chicks into our family was part memory, part grub and bug control and eggs. They have blessed us with many smiles, laughter, tears aplenty when we lost a beloved chicken to hawks and cats and opened up a new understanding in us of these feathered members of our family.

We enjoy being grandparents to three awesome kids, parents to a wonderful son and puppy parents to three golden doodles. I recently returned to work and my husband takes care of our chicken flock. His dedication to making sure everything stays clean and everybody gets fed makes for a happy happy family. Our three doodles live in peace with our flock. In fact, Bella chases away any cat that crosses our fence to mess with our chickens. She has put the fear of God into several who threatened harm to her feathered friends.

We recently lost one of our beloved Polish hens to botulism poisoning. She was too far gone to save. Two days later I found Matilda suffering from the same thing. In searching the internet for any aids in helping Matilda to overcome her illnesses, I found Barnyard Chickens and read the postings about those who had experienced botulism poisoning in their chickens. While we lost our Gonzo to the disease, it is with thankful happiness that I tell you we were able to save Matilda. After three weeks, Matilda was able to rejoin our flock. Thank you BYC members!

inCollage_20191031_061503338.jpg

Hello and welcome to BYC. I hope that you enjoy your time here.

This is a useful link to take a look at - “How to...” guides. You may wish to consider including your location under your avatar (using the guide in the link above). You can use this link to contact members in your area - U.S. States, UK, Europe, Australia, Canada (for other countries, check here - Where am I? Where are you!)

Best wishes

Pork Pie

Back
Top Bottom