Hello from North Ga - have a Pyrenees problem

bigsurfwaves

Songster
Apr 6, 2023
I got 4 hens last fall and got a Pyrenees pup who was sweet and great with them until now. I expanded my flock by 20.. but in the past few weeks, she has eaten over a dozen chickens. She eats every single feather and leaves nothing. She has eaten full grown roosters, a 7lb Rhode Island Red hen, and a few half grown chicks. It is always when we aren't watching. We can literally go inside to use the restroom and one will be gone. We've trained her incessantly with positive reinforcement when she ignores them and she does perfect when watched.. but as soon as she is unsupervised she snags a chicken and there will be nothing left. It is in broad daylight. It is at the point we have penned her up and can't let her loose at all. She can't be in a fenced yard, on an invisible fence or anything. She will defy every single thing we try. She will eat a chicken while surrounded by meaty bones, after receiving hours of training with treats, and with full bowls of excellent food sitting there. Apparently, I will have to rehome her. Thoughts?

Welcome to BYC.
Sounds like she needs a lot more training or a new home.
Just because a dog is a certain breed doesn't mean it knows what it's supposed to do or not do. you still have to train it well.

Welcome to BYC.
Sounds like she needs a lot more training or a new home.
Just because a dog is a certain breed doesn't mean it knows what it's supposed to do or not do. you still have to train it well.
This is my second GPyr. My first one lived to be 13 and was wonderful. We've been working with her nonstop as I'm home every day. Every time we think she's got it figured out she eats another chicken. It is reprehensible. I'm going to cut my losses I think. Where should I start with rehoming her I wonder...

This is my second GPyr. My first one lived to be 13 and was wonderful. We've been working with her nonstop as I'm home every day. Every time we think she's got it figured out she eats another chicken. It is reprehensible. I'm going to cut my losses I think. Where should I start with rehoming her I wonder...
Did you buy from a breeder? Maybe they will take her back or be able to help you find a better home with no chickens for her.

Did you buy from a breeder? Maybe they will take her back or be able to help you find a better home with no chickens for her.
I got her from a breeder yes. He was outside Atlanta and seemed to have a LOT of dog breeding pens and a mini farm with chickens, goats, llamas ect. She cost less $ without papers but looks textbook Pyr. My first Pyr was adopted from a shelter (double dew claws and all) and wonderful with all small animals.. even cats. Very gentle, sweet, and crazy protective instincts with hawks, coyotes, and all predators. My new dog acts nothing like her. She could care less if a hawk flies over. She hates my cats and would kill them if given access. 2 days ago she ate the same hen that was raised alongside her as a puppy. She ate the whole thing and didn't leave a feather in broad daylight. Our neighbors have a Great Pyr also which does not act this way. We have a few acres and are surrounded by protected lands and private owners who don't mind her roaming.. she could have access to hundreds of adjacent acres but she won't roam that direction... only towards the highway and the people who have chickens to stalk and eat. We really are at our wits end with her. sadly.

I got her from a breeder yes. He was outside Atlanta and seemed to have a LOT of dog breeding pens and a mini farm with chickens, goats, llamas ect. She cost less $ without papers but looks textbook Pyr. My first Pyr was adopted from a shelter (double dew claws and all) and wonderful with all small animals.. even cats. Very gentle, sweet, and crazy protective instincts with hawks, coyotes, and all predators. My new dog acts nothing like her. She could care less if a hawk flies over. She hates my cats and would kill them if given access. 2 days ago she ate the same hen that was raised alongside her as a puppy. She ate the whole thing and didn't leave a feather in broad daylight. Our neighbors have a Great Pyr also which does not act this way. We have a few acres and are surrounded by protected lands and private owners who don't mind her roaming.. she could have access to hundreds of adjacent acres but she won't roam that direction... only towards the highway and the people who have chickens to stalk and eat. We really are at our wits end with her. sadly.
Well the breeder take her back?

I really don't want to drive that far, as the breeder is several hours away. I'd rather find her a nice home without chickens or figure out a new strategy for her. She works at night and does alert me to any predators which is perfect Pyr behavior. I guess I was getting a consensus on here about how many times this happens and the dog changes killing behavior when mature... or whether this is a case of 'getting a taste for blood" or simply not having the breed's full temperament. She seems extremely 'dominant' against everyone and everything except other dogs. She thrashes uncontrollably, biting and rolling and kicking... when put on the gentle leader and a leash even with treats. I used that to walk and train my last Pyr and she would calm down instantly. My last Pyr hated most other dogs but would submit to me on that. This one refuses but plays nice with other dogs. We got her at 8 weeks so no one else has influenced her behavior. One thing I do know.. the current scenario of being penned up while chickens are free ranging around her has frustrated her and she'll not get better that way. She'll eat them all as soon as the opportunity presents while meaty beef bones and chew toys are scattered about her area. I've put a lot of time and some money into a very diverse flock of chickens with some rare breeds and don't want to lose them all... Thanks y'all. :)

my family breeds dogs and with a dog like that they will not take them back anyways and you say you find nothing they are just missing?

my family breeds dogs and with a dog like that they will not take them back anyways and you say you find nothing they are just missing?
she grew out of it. I got her a companion Great Bernese and he's still young and doing some bad things too. She ignores chickens now. We waited it out. :)

Back
Top Bottom