Hello! I am back and upgraded our coop!

Hello!
I previously posted on the New Member Introductions, I was told the coop I had for our 4 chicken was too small, especially when winter creeps in and they'll most likely spend time inside! I had a tractor supply chicken coop, one of those that says it's for 6 chickens when it's clearly for about...2. 😩

➡️Pervious post! https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/hello-excited-to-learn.1540029/

We have a flock of 4 chickens! Maple who is our Ameraucana, Aspen our Silver Wyandotte, Magnolia our Light Brahma and Hazel our Rhode Island Red! 🐔

I think the coop we built is a little big for a flock of 4, but just in case in future we decide to get another 2 or 3 we thought we'd go big!

We have two big windows, you can see one in the photo, the other is on the left side, Run isn't that big because they have the run of the garden during the day, we only added a run just incase they need to be locked up, for example we'll be having house renovations happening soon, garden fence being changed and the residing of our house etc so we will need to lock them up when that is happening.

Inside the coop we have 6 nesting boxes, 2 areas to roost from and we have a heat lamp we just put in because Idaho is planning to have a very cold winter, I will also put extra bedding in when that weather creeps in! If you have any tips to help with the cold please let me know! ♥ I don't want my girls getting cold!

Hope I did a good upgrade! ☺️ Please let me know any feedback! We had a lot of help in knowing what to do from my husbands mother, she's had a coop and 10-15 chickens for about 17 years!

Edit: Thought I would add that it does have a door. 🤣 I forgot the outside photos were taken when we hadn't finished it!
That looks great! I am in Canada and it gets darn miserable here, I insulated the hen house which is a 4x10 room in the barn Which is only used for roosting and sleeping. I don’t supplement with heat as my dozen keep it around freezing or just above even on the coldest nights

I only put in supplement heat using a cosy hen panel for my broody silkies. It was darn cold around -20 to -30c. During the day they have the run of the horse barn with most of horse poop to dig in and hay to climb on 😊

One suggestion is that you might want to have a couple of covered nest boxes, my gals o lay use the covered secluded boxes even though I have 11 hens

That looks great! I am in Canada and it gets darn miserable here, I insulated the hen house which is a 4x10 room in the barn Which is only used for roosting and sleeping. I don’t supplement with heat as my dozen keep it around freezing or just above even on the coldest nights

I only put in supplement heat using a cosy hen panel for my broody silkies. It was darn cold around -20 to -30c. During the day they have the run of the horse barn with most of horse poop to dig in and hay to climb on 😊

One suggestion is that you might want to have a couple of covered nest boxes, my gals o lay use the covered secluded boxes even though I have 11 hens

Oh god, it gets so cold in Canada! I have relatives that live there! We're in Idaho, so we usually share your harsh winters! We're like "Canada Light" when it comes to your winters, haha 😆

Cosy hen panel? I think I seen something like that from Home Depot, I was toying with the idea of using one instead of the heat lamp but my husband suggested the heat lamp since he's used them for our emu.

Everything is pretty much new so I will have to experiment a little this winter, How do you keep the water from not freezing over etc? Got any tips for the harsh winter? Any specific food/bedding? We're currently using pine shavings and 16% layer pellets!

We're going to end up putting a panel across the top of the boxes so they're covered and then a dowel right across the top so they can go into the boxes to nest but they can sit on the dowels above at night to roost, I might put some sheets on top of the nesting boxes to make the mess easier to clean, that or I could sprinkle pine shavings on the top?

Thank you for the advise!

Oh god, it gets so cold in Canada! I have relatives that live there! We're in Idaho, so we usually share your harsh winters! We're like "Canada Light" when it comes to your winters, haha 😆

Cosy hen panel? I think I seen something like that from Home Depot, I was toying with the idea of using one instead of the heat lamp but my husband suggested the heat lamp since he's used them for our emu.

Everything is pretty much new so I will have to experiment a little this winter, How do you keep the water from not freezing over etc? Got any tips for the harsh winter? Any specific food/bedding? We're currently using pine shavings and 16% layer pellets!

We're going to end up putting a panel across the top of the boxes so they're covered and then a dowel right across the top so they can go into the boxes to nest but they can sit on the dowels above at night to roost, I might put some sheets on top of the nesting boxes to make the mess easier to clean, that or I could sprinkle pine shavings on the top?

Thank you for the advise!
I am new to poultry but not livestock, I have found that down to around -5C (23F) they are pretty active doing chicken stuff, but once it got colder than that, they tended to be less active and once it got to around -20C they just stood there huddled together - have the same issue with the horses at around -30c.

I put the Cozy Panel in the hen house so they could snuggle next to it and warm up. The big issue with the extreme cold and their decreased activity is they aren’t eating as much. Food is energy, I feed a morning warm mash (layer soaked in hot water) which everyone loves (I feed similar to the horses), this type of feeding wet mash gets calories into them and fluids.

I purchased an electric heated waterer, I have power in the barn so no problems with water. If you don’t have power you can run a power cord with a GFI (prevent shocks) to your coop. This is what my niece does with her hens.

Chickens are from jungle fowl, yes they can handle cold temps but they won’t be very happy, even my horses who are Plains animals and evolved to handle cold temps get cold stressed at very cold temps.

My suggestion is to closely observe your kiddies and if they are inactive huddled together and not active then maybe they are cold stressed. Yes ventilation is very important, yes having them acclimated to the climate is important, yes for sure make sure no drafts. Most importantly though know your animals, I’d they are not acting normal, figure out why.

As for sleeping in nest boxes - my silkies do, they just can’t handle the cold temps, also right now I have a couple of regular barnyard mix who are molting, and its cold and damp and miserable here, they sleep in the boxes, and during the day also when they get chilly. Chickens aren’t stupid, if they are cold they will warm up!

Everyday I clean the poops out of the boxes, I also have some that prefer to roost on the tops of my nest boxes. Sure they poop there, but again every morning I clean off the poops, let any moisture dry during the day, and before they roost I put more shavings on top of the boxes, I let my animals decide what they want, and I then as any good slave would so, I follow around after them cleaning up 😁

My roosts are 2x4 with the wide end up for them to roost on, you don’t want anything too round or slippery as this can cause tendon issues in the feet, if they poop on the roost, you got it! I clean it of everything day.

The key with any animals / livestock / pets is to observe their normal activities and then if they are acting abnormally figure out why, that’s your job as the caregiver!

Everyone is sleeping here (my Polish Roo sleeps in the most odd positions!)
3F9AFA5E-5A31-4E4F-9984-066032D62A3C.png

This is the electric waterer (this is Dorothy she is molting here and has been spending time in the nest box and warming up in my feed room which is heated)
AA1EFAE6-4E0F-49EF-AE01-E42BC5921325.jpeg

Electric waterers work, also there are heated bases you can buy to put your current waterer on or (this is what I use) there are heated dog water bowls. I use the dog bowls as I find it easier to dump the dirty water, wipe it clean with paper towels and refill and I don't have to take anything apart when it is freezing cold. Did great in -30F weather last year.

Electric waterers work, also there are heated bases you can buy to put your current waterer on or (this is what I use) there are heated dog water bowls. I use the dog bowls as I find it easier to dump the dirty water, wipe it clean with paper towels and refill and I don't have to take anything apart when it is freezing cold. Did great in -30F weather last year.
How do you deal with wet wattles? That would be my worry with a water bowl.

I will tell you what my husband tells me...which I clearly don't listen to. 🤷‍♀️🤣🤷‍♀️

Stop reading the forum...(been reading your post since you posted it.)

Honestly though...you'll have those people who can come across rude, mean, or are just looking to ruin someone's day. (Just like any other form of social media, which is why I have no others...peoples approach and attitudes bother me big time, though I always like to give the benefit of the doubt)

I don't post a ton on here, I read a ton...but I agree with a lot of your sentiments.

Heck sometimes it legit seems like people ask for set up pics so they can pick it apart and mention everything done wrong.

I to listened to some advice but not all. You do you, and IF you find something that doesn't work for YOU, you can always come back to advice given here and reevaluate!!! ❤️

I am new to poultry but not livestock, I have found that down to around -5C (23F) they are pretty active doing chicken stuff, but once it got colder than that, they tended to be less active and once it got to around -20C they just stood there huddled together - have the same issue with the horses at around -30c.

I put the Cozy Panel in the hen house so they could snuggle next to it and warm up. The big issue with the extreme cold and their decreased activity is they aren’t eating as much. Food is energy, I feed a morning warm mash (layer soaked in hot water) which everyone loves (I feed similar to the horses), this type of feeding wet mash gets calories into them and fluids.

I purchased an electric heated waterer, I have power in the barn so no problems with water. If you don’t have power you can run a power cord with a GFI (prevent shocks) to your coop. This is what my niece does with her hens.

Chickens are from jungle fowl, yes they can handle cold temps but they won’t be very happy, even my horses who are Plains animals and evolved to handle cold temps get cold stressed at very cold temps.

My suggestion is to closely observe your kiddies and if they are inactive huddled together and not active then maybe they are cold stressed. Yes ventilation is very important, yes having them acclimated to the climate is important, yes for sure make sure no drafts. Most importantly though know your animals, I’d they are not acting normal, figure out why.

As for sleeping in nest boxes - my silkies do, they just can’t handle the cold temps, also right now I have a couple of regular barnyard mix who are molting, and its cold and damp and miserable here, they sleep in the boxes, and during the day also when they get chilly. Chickens aren’t stupid, if they are cold they will warm up!

Everyday I clean the poops out of the boxes, I also have some that prefer to roost on the tops of my nest boxes. Sure they poop there, but again every morning I clean off the poops, let any moisture dry during the day, and before they roost I put more shavings on top of the boxes, I let my animals decide what they want, and I then as any good slave would so, I follow around after them cleaning up 😁

My roosts are 2x4 with the wide end up for them to roost on, you don’t want anything too round or slippery as this can cause tendon issues in the feet, if they poop on the roost, you got it! I clean it of everything day.

The key with any animals / livestock / pets is to observe their normal activities and then if they are acting abnormally figure out why, that’s your job as the caregiver!

Everyone is sleeping here (my Polish Roo sleeps in the most odd positions!)
View attachment 3299150

This is the electric waterer (this is Dorothy she is molting here and has been spending time in the nest box and warming up in my feed room which is heated)
View attachment 3299151

I don't know where to start because this was extremely helpful! Your coop looks amazing, I love all the little random boxes and things for them to walk on, definitely wont get bored in the colder months when they may be in there more!

I might rethink the cozy hen panel, might be better to use then a heat lamp. As you say, just something they can snuggle up to if they're a bit cold.

I'm so careful with our chickens, god I get anxiety when the emu decides to go nuts around the garden, running 35mph and I think he's going to trample one of the chickens, they're smart though; they all run when he goes on a mad one. I honestly would never of thought chickens would make great pets, but I am from England originally, I have only been in the US for 2 years and keeping chickens as pets in the UK is not really heard of. I love the different personalities, they keep me busy haha!

Thank you so much, I will definitely observe them since it's their first winter, I also love the idea of the layer mash, will be trying that! I hope the dowels I got won't cause any issues with them roosting, I was told they're the ideal size for chickens to roost, Our girl aspen used it last night, hopefully they all follow and start using the roosts!

Dorothy is so pretty! Reminds me of one of my mother in laws chickens, is she an Ameraucana?

Thank you again for the help! I really appreciate it. 💛

Beautifully-built.

You may find that you need more top-level ventilation over time, though the vented door into the run might do the job sufficiently. :)

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/repecka-illustrates-coop-ventilation.77659/

That article is the best thing I've ever seen! haha!

We spoke about adding vents at the peak of the shed, drill about 6 holes, roughly around 2cm in size each and then put small mesh to stop the wasps getting in, not needed now but in the summer they're a pain! I'll put a fake wasp nest in the coop too since they stop wasps from trying to nest inside, they're very territorial and don't like to make nests within a certain distance of each-other, so the fake nests work a treat!

Thank you 💛

Back
Top Bottom