Hello! I am back and upgraded our coop!

I will tell you what my husband tells me...which I clearly don't listen to. 🤷‍♀️🤣🤷‍♀️

Stop reading the forum...(been reading your post since you posted it.)

Honestly though...you'll have those people who can come across rude, mean, or are just looking to ruin someone's day. (Just like any other form of social media, which is why I have no others...peoples approach and attitudes bother me big time, though I always like to give the benefit of the doubt)

I don't post a ton on here, I read a ton...but I agree with a lot of your sentiments.

Heck sometimes it legit seems like people ask for set up pics so they can pick it apart and mention everything done wrong.

I to listened to some advice but not all. You do you, and IF you find something that doesn't work for YOU, you can always come back to advice given here and reevaluate!!! ❤️

That's hilarious because my husband says the same thing! 🤣 He told me his friend used to talk on a reptile forum and they can be very bossy on there too!

I in all honesty just wanted to share that I listened previously since I bought one of those tractor supply coops which says it's for about 6 chickens when it's clearly for about 2. 🤦‍♀️When people made me aware that it's going to be super small especially when the winter comes in and the chickens will want to spend time inside, they'll be crammed into this tiny coop. I honestly didn't think of that since our chickens have the run of the garden, but of course they won't be when it gets too cold!

But anyway, that's why we built this, it's been completed for about 2 weeks now. I think they are settled, took awhile for them to get used to it so I decided to lock them in for 3 days. Made me sad but it worked!

I only listen to certain things like winter weather tips, what to feed, bedding, all that stuff. When it comes to building I already did that, not about to spend more adding things. 😆 Unless it's super important!

This already cost about $2000, It's pretty insolated too, we built the shed from scratch since we didn't want to buy an actual shed as it's a waste because we didn't want a floor.

The people asking others to post photos to pick it apart, I can see that to be honest!

Thanks for posting! 🧡

Electric waterers work, also there are heated bases you can buy to put your current waterer on or (this is what I use) there are heated dog water bowls. I use the dog bowls as I find it easier to dump the dirty water, wipe it clean with paper towels and refill and I don't have to take anything apart when it is freezing cold. Did great in -30F weather last year.
My husband just mentioned about the heated bases, his mother uses the electric waterers so we'll get one of the two! ☺️

I understand I asked for feedback, Like I responded to the person who commented, there are different ways to approach people when giving critiques/feedback and going into negatives right off the bat would rub anyone the wrong way.

We have a quite a few posters here who answer straight and to the point, and don't see the need to sugarcoat everything. I think you will find that a lot of them are our most knowledgeable and well respected members.

To me critique/feedback = pointing out things that may need improvement. It might include praise, but that should not be expected.

People have various styles and mindsets, not everyone in life is going to approach you in the way that you prefer. Food for thought- it could also be it's not so much what they are saying, but more so how you are interpreting what they say.

If someone really rubs you the wrong way skip over their posts or put them on ignore.

As to the OP, I like your coop, it looks well built. I will say that IME 2 x 4 roosts are much better than dowels. The chicken's feet are tucked completely under them when they roost, whereas with a dowel the toes are often exposed to the weather and potential frostbite.

We have a quite a few posters here who answer straight and to the point, and don't see the need to sugarcoat everything. I think you will find that a lot of them are our most knowledgeable and well respected members.

To me critique/feedback = pointing out things that may need improvement. It might include praise, but that should not be expected.

People have various styles and mindsets, not everyone in life is going to approach you in the way that you prefer. Food for thought- it could also be it's not so much what they are saying, but more so how you are interpreting what they say.

If someone really rubs you the wrong way skip over their posts or put them on ignore.

As to the OP, I like your coop, it looks well built. I will say that IME 2 x 4 roosts are much better than dowels. The chicken's feet are tucked completely under them when they roost, whereas with a dowel the toes are often exposed to the weather and potential frostbite.

People are welcome to answer straight to the point, and you are right, people don't need to sugarcoat everything and that is not what I am saying, but as well as that they can't expect everyone to react the same way either.

I've seen no one else who have commented here sugarcoating anything, yet they've came across helpful and more kind. Going into a post and just posting something negative right away especially to a new member is not really the way to go about giving helpful information.

I noticed others also suggesting this, we plan to make some changes to the nesting boxes, the coop is only 2 weeks old so we expect some minor changes. Going to cover the nesting boxes more so they're not so open and was going to add a dowel above the boxes, but instead we could add a 2 x 4. As for the dowels we already have, might just keep them there, they could use them in the summer.

Oh god, it gets so cold in Canada! I have relatives that live there! We're in Idaho, so we usually share your harsh winters! We're like "Canada Light" when it comes to your winters, haha 😆

Cosy hen panel? I think I seen something like that from Home Depot, I was toying with the idea of using one instead of the heat lamp but my husband suggested the heat lamp since he's used them for our emu.

Everything is pretty much new so I will have to experiment a little this winter, How do you keep the water from not freezing over etc? Got any tips for the harsh winter? Any specific food/bedding? We're currently using pine shavings and 16% layer pellets!

We're going to end up putting a panel across the top of the boxes so they're covered and then a dowel right across the top so they can go into the boxes to nest but they can sit on the dowels above at night to roost, I might put some sheets on top of the nesting boxes to make the mess easier to clean, that or I could sprinkle pine shavings on the top?

Thank you for the advise!
Welcome to BYC!!!
6B3E15ED-DE9D-4089-8AF4-0FA7153F062E.jpeg If you are putting a panel on top of the boxes have you considered making a perimeter with 1X2 on the panel edges to make a tray? Then simply fill the tray with sand and scoop like kitty liter. I did this with scrap wood and it makes the coop so easy to keep clean. Haven’t had to change coop floor bedding in months.

Welcome to BYC!!!
View attachment 3299433If you are putting a panel on top of the boxes have you considered making a perimeter with 1X2 on the panel edges to make a tray? Then simply fill the tray with sand and scoop like kitty liter. I did this with scrap wood and it makes the coop so easy to keep clean. Haven’t had to change coop floor bedding in months.
This looks great! Might nab this idea when we change things about! Loving your nesting boxes too! 🤩

I don't know where to start because this was extremely helpful! Your coop looks amazing, I love all the little random boxes and things for them to walk on, definitely wont get bored in the colder months when they may be in there more!

I might rethink the cozy hen panel, might be better to use then a heat lamp. As you say, just something they can snuggle up to if they're a bit cold.

I'm so careful with our chickens, god I get anxiety when the emu decides to go nuts around the garden, running 35mph and I think he's going to trample one of the chickens, they're smart though; they all run when he goes on a mad one. I honestly would never of thought chickens would make great pets, but I am from England originally, I have only been in the US for 2 years and keeping chickens as pets in the UK is not really heard of. I love the different personalities, they keep me busy haha!

Thank you so much, I will definitely observe them since it's their first winter, I also love the idea of the layer mash, will be trying that! I hope the dowels I got won't cause any issues with them roosting, I was told they're the ideal size for chickens to roost, Our girl aspen used it last night, hopefully they all follow and start using the roosts!

Dorothy is so pretty! Reminds me of one of my mother in laws chickens, is she an Ameraucana?

Thank you again for the help! I really appreciate it. 💛
I would call Dorothy a barnyard mutt 😊 other than the silkies and the Roo (polish) all the others are just a mad mix.

I hear ya with the stampeding Emu, I have horses and don’t let my kiddies out around them, they could get trampled. Of course they love sharing snacks with my thoroughbred mare hahaha!
7FF32D9E-045B-40AA-9BC0-9E58D77940F7.jpeg

My gang has the whole horse barn to explore daily - lots of nice fresh horse poop to dig in 😆

If there is one piece of advice I can give is, there is no one way of doing things. What works for me, may not work for my neighbour or for anyone else. Find something that works for you and be consistent.

Mostly HAVE FUN!
C91A24A6-A1C8-46E3-9537-4F98110090C2.jpeg

Welcome to BYC!!!
View attachment 3299433If you are putting a panel on top of the boxes have you considered making a perimeter with 1X2 on the panel edges to make a tray? Then simply fill the tray with sand and scoop like kitty liter. I did this with scrap wood and it makes the coop so easy to keep clean. Haven’t had to change coop floor bedding in months.
Love your curtains great idea!

That's hilarious because my husband says the same thing! 🤣 He told me his friend used to talk on a reptile forum and they can be very bossy on there too!

I in all honesty just wanted to share that I listened previously since I bought one of those tractor supply coops which says it's for about 6 chickens when it's clearly for about 2. 🤦‍♀️When people made me aware that it's going to be super small especially when the winter comes in and the chickens will want to spend time inside, they'll be crammed into this tiny coop. I honestly didn't think of that since our chickens have the run of the garden, but of course they won't be when it gets too cold!

But anyway, that's why we built this, it's been completed for about 2 weeks now. I think they are settled, took awhile for them to get used to it so I decided to lock them in for 3 days. Made me sad but it worked!

I only listen to certain things like winter weather tips, what to feed, bedding, all that stuff. When it comes to building I already did that, not about to spend more adding things. 😆 Unless it's super important!

This already cost about $2000, It's pretty insolated too, we built the shed from scratch since we didn't want to buy an actual shed as it's a waste because we didn't want a floor.

The people asking others to post photos to pick it apart, I can see that to be honest!

Thanks for posting! 🧡
Oh gosh, I believe it was super expensive!! It looks fabulous! Heck my coop is some roosts and some nesting boxes lol. Nothing fancy, no room for food...its got floor space (8x8) but heck they just don't use it!

I started by looking at the prefabs...my hubby insisted the amount they can hold was correct...I insisted otherwise. We built a 4x8 first, and still yet too small...then added on to make an 8x8 lol...I wanna do one more add on and make it 12x8 but alas he said NO MORE bahahaha...

I am glad locking them in has worked!!! Many suggest that, and without this forum, I wouldn't have known abt that option!

Honest, so much good info here!!! I am addicted to reading and learning abt my chickens, your chickens, everyone chickens bahahaha 🤣🤣🤣🤣

I would call Dorothy a barnyard mutt 😊 other than the silkies and the Roo (polish) all the others are just a mad mix.

I hear ya with the stampeding Emu, I have horses and don’t let my kiddies out around them, they could get trampled. Of course they love sharing snacks with my thoroughbred mare hahaha!
View attachment 3299459

My gang has the whole horse barn to explore daily - lots of nice fresh horse poop to dig in 😆

If there is one piece of advice I can give is, there is no one way of doing things. What works for me, may not work for my neighbour or for anyone else. Find something that works for you and be consistent.

Mostly HAVE FUN!
View attachment 3299453

Aww bless, I want horses one day! Owned them before back in the UK. I had a Friesian and Cob mix, called her Ebony. 💛

Thank you so much for sharing your chickies! I really love silkies, I'm tempted to get one myself, but I have a few others in mind I also want, don't want to get too many though and be back to square one. 🤣 I would love a cochin bantam or a sapphire gem, welsummers are pretty too, so many to choose from!

Back
Top Bottom