Coop/run upgrade help

Pics

Esrun

Songster
Jan 29, 2024
Hi everyone,

We built our run as complete newbies a couple years ago, so please be kind. IT’s functional but not bougie 🤣 Our run is secure but our coop is teeeeeny. I would really like to get more hens but will need a larger coop. Can anyone give me tips on what to build in our current run? Eventually the shed (which this run is attached to) can be turned into a coop but not for at least a year or two. I was thinking of building up one half of this run (where the coop is now) so they still had underneath to walk around but could house more. We have three bantams (Pickles is making an appeal to you in this picture 😂) and our coop is ~4x4 the run is ~12x12 but I will be expanding that out on the door side as well.

Attachments

• IMG_8226.jpeg
    IMG_8226.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 975
How many more hens would you be wanting to get?
We can have up to 15 but I can’t do that many with this set up. Hopefully when the shed is available I can. For now I’d like to add 3-4 more standard sized birds. I’m not sure if that’s possible in this set up either? Certainly not with the current coop (there aren’t even any roosting bars, which is ok bc our silkies sleep on the floor no matter what and our sebright sleeps on top of the coop 😑)

We can have up to 15 but I can’t do that many with this set up. Hopefully when the shed is available I can. For now I’d like to add 3-4 more standard sized birds. I’m not sure if that’s possible in this set up either? Certainly not with the current coop (there aren’t even any roosting bars, which is ok bc our silkies sleep on the floor no matter what and our sebright sleeps on top of the coop 😑)
Okay! Well, at a minimum each bird needs 4sq ft of coop space and 10sq ft of run space, and more the better. With a 12x12' run, if you had, lets say 7 birds, each one would have 20sq ft of run space. So a 12x12' run is perfect for the amount of birds you want. Also, since you have 3 bantams, they can do with a bit less coop and run space unlike standard sizes. So the 12x12' run is great.
For the coop, if you're going to have about 7 birds, you'll want a 4x8' coop, which would give 4.5sq ft of space to each bird, which is a good amount.
Like you said, I would build an above ground coop inside of the run. So you don't have to make something larger and you're not losing any run space.
Also, something VERY important is ventilation. You want to give each bird AT LEAST 1sq ft of ventilation, its keep the ammonia down, and its pretty important for the birds health.
One more thing, you'll need no more than 3 nesting boxes! Something I see a lot is too many nesting boxes for the amount of hens, you really only need 1 nesting box per 3-4 hens.

Okay! Well, at a minimum each bird needs 4sq ft of coop space and 10sq ft of run space, and more the better. With a 12x12' run, if you had, lets say 7 birds, each one would have 20sq ft of run space. So a 12x12' run is perfect for the amount of birds you want. Also, since you have 3 bantams, they can do with a bit less coop and run space unlike standard sizes. So the 12x12' run is great.
For the coop, if you're going to have about 7 birds, you'll want a 4x8' coop, which would give 4.5sq ft of space to each bird, which is a good amount.
Like you said, I would build an above ground coop inside of the run. So you don't have to make something larger and you're not losing any run space.
Also, something VERY important is ventilation. You want to give each bird AT LEAST 1sq ft of ventilation, its keep the ammonia down, and its pretty important for the birds health.
One more thing, you'll need no more than 3 nesting boxes! Something I see a lot is too many nesting boxes for the amount of hens, you really only need 1 nesting box per 3-4 hens.
Actually I just measured and it’s only 8x10 🤔 this space could work for up to 8 birds though? I can do a 4x10 coop.

Since you mentioned having bantams and wanting to add standard birds, what is your backup plan if the two groups cannot get along in the same space?
If it did not work out I would have to rehome the standards. Two of my bantams are very strong willed girls. They are not easily bullied so I was hoping that by getting the standards as day olds when one is broody (separate from the other two) or just as baby chicks (and a docile breed, do you have any suggestions?). It’s a good question. We would get the chicks when it’s much warmer out so they don’t have to be inside for long (if at all pending broodiness).

I’m not sure how else to transition to a standard sized breed flock… if add more bantams I feel like I’ll be stuck in the same cycle of only being able to get little guys. Is this a bad idea? Maybe waiting for them all to live to the ends of theirs lives is better? 1 of our 3 is about 3 or 4. The other two are 1 or 2. So, they’re still young.

I was hoping that by getting the standards as day olds when one is broody (separate from the other two) or just as baby chicks (and a docile breed, do you have any suggestions?).
There's quite a few docile breeds like Orpingtons and Faverolles but of course each bird is an individual so there's no guarantee. Avoid RIRs since they're often listed as being more domineering, and probably anything that's more game bird in type as they usually require more space even though they may be smaller birds.
I’m not sure how else to transition to a standard sized breed flock… if add more bantams I feel like I’ll be stuck in the same cycle of only being able to get little guys. Is this a bad idea? Maybe waiting for them all to live to the ends of theirs lives is better? 1 of our 3 is about 3 or 4. The other two are 1 or 2. So, they’re still young.
If you'd rather have standard size birds I'd look to expand the run at the very least first as you currently have a bare minimum space for 8 standard size birds right now. So that's likely where you'd see the most conflict if any were to arise.

Just as there's no guarantee that they will get along, there's no guarantee that they won't get along either. But if you're willing to expand or rehome bully birds if it becomes necessary, then at least there's a plan on how to deal with it if it doesn't work out.

Keep in mind that integrating new birds works best with extra space.

I like to integrate them as young as possible:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/integrating-new-birds-at-4-weeks-old.72603/
But still following these......
Integration Basics:
It's all about territory and resources(space/food/water).
Existing birds will almost always attack new ones to defend their resources.
Understanding chicken behaviors is essential to integrating new birds into your flock.

Confine new birds within sight but physically segregated from older/existing birds for several weeks, so they can see and get used to each other but not physically interact.

In adjacent runs, spread scratch grains along the dividing mesh, best if mesh is just big enough for birds to stick their head thru, so they get used to eating together.

The more space, the better.
Birds will peck to establish dominance, the pecked bird needs space to get away. As long as there's no copious blood drawn and/or new bird is not trapped/pinned down and beaten unmercilessly, let them work it out. Every time you interfere or remove new birds, they'll have to start the pecking order thing all over again.

Multiple feed/water stations. Dominance issues are most often carried out over sustenance, more stations lessens the frequency of that issue.

Places for the new birds to hide 'out of line of sight'(but not a dead end trap) and/or up and away from any bully birds. Roosts, pallets or boards leaned up against walls or up on concrete blocks, old chairs tables, branches, logs, stumps out in the run can really help. Lots of diversion and places to 'hide' instead of bare wide open run.

Good ideas for hiding places:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/

Back
Top Bottom