Hello it's me,

rancher hicks

Free Ranging
14 Years
Feb 28, 2009
Syracuse, NY
I'm not really new but many folks here are so I thought what the heck. I have a couple of questions.

FYI, I'm Rancher Hicks. Been on BYC since I first got chicks. Some folks like me others not so much but such is life. I'm retired, but not yet wearing Depends. I do have an off the wall sense of humor. This PC thing can get me in trouble but I'm not one for grudge holding so don't expect me to carry things. I once heard a young man say he "doesn't let people rent space in his head". I liked that.

I keep Delaware, Birchen Marans, Columbian Rocks, Marsh Daisies (new to these, long story) a couple Frizzles, (Frenchy being the oldest she'll be 8 this Feb/March.) and Easter Egger mix. Only little Frenchy came from a hatchery. I run a mainly closed flock.

I'm on a few other threads. I don't have time to follow them all. Lord knows nothing would get done if I did.

I'm in Syracuse, NY ares with family in TX and soon to be AK. A couple of Brothers in NC.

Now to my questions.

1. Why is it I get no email updates to threads I subscribe to?

2. Most importantly why is BYC the only site that delays when I type out messages? My computer revs terribly and pages seem delayed sometime even messed up, with part of the page missing. This does not happen with any other sites I go on. Only BYC.

My OP is Windows 8 I think. I use Google chrome. I haven't clean things up for fear of losing all my pictures and videos. I've got a cleaner site "piriform.com". Anyone here ever use it?

3. Anyone here privy to Flannel shirts? I just bought one at Walmart, not my favorite store and I rarely go there. $7.88 on sale. Large and like everyother flannel made over seas.

I've a couple of other brands but one of the newest while a large is snug and the buttons keep coming undone. Paid $14.99 for that one.

I've one or two I bought at TSC on sale and they're pretty good. I like them, but they're not on sale.

4. I know I should know this, but I don't usually have young birds this late in the year. I've three Delaware pullets that are fully feathered but still on grower and not in with the large birds yet. Do they need heat?

Dels are pretty easy going and I can stick just about anyone in with them and they get along. I've two EE's in there with them now. Older than these Dels.

5. i will take this to the marans thread but I've been having a hard time hatching them. This last batch I got one chick and that one I helped out. The others while fertile didn't hatch. Some looked as though they quit.

Thanks for your help

Rancher

I'm not really new but many folks here are so I thought what the heck. I have a couple of questions.

FYI, I'm Rancher Hicks. Been on BYC since I first got chicks. Some folks like me others not so much but such is life. I'm retired, but not yet wearing Depends. I do have an off the wall sense of humor. This PC thing can get me in trouble but I'm not one for grudge holding so don't expect me to carry things. I once heard a young man say he "doesn't let people rent space in his head". I liked that.

I keep Delaware, Birchen Marans, Columbian Rocks, Marsh Daisies (new to these, long story) a couple Frizzles, (Frenchy being the oldest she'll be 8 this Feb/March.) and Easter Egger mix. Only little Frenchy came from a hatchery. I run a mainly closed flock.

I'm on a few other threads. I don't have time to follow them all. Lord knows nothing would get done if I did.

I'm in Syracuse, NY ares with family in TX and soon to be AK. A couple of Brothers in NC.

Now to my questions.

1. Why is it I get no email updates to threads I subscribe to? If you go to the bottom of each post you subscribe to, make sure the box is checked next to "get notified when others reply". Then select how often you want to be notified. If you select "site only" or "don't subscribe" you will not get emails. If you select "Immediately", "Daily" or "Weekly", you should get the email notifications.

2. Most importantly why is BYC the only site that delays when I type out messages? My computer revs terribly and pages seem delayed sometime even messed up, with part of the page missing. This does not happen with any other sites I go on. Only BYC. Not sure why that would be. I have never had a problem.

My OP is Windows 8 I think. I use Google chrome. I haven't clean things up for fear of losing all my pictures and videos. I've got a cleaner site "piriform.com". Anyone here ever use it? Never heard of it or used it.

3. Anyone here privy to Flannel shirts? I just bought one at Walmart, not my favorite store and I rarely go there. $7.88 on sale. Large and like everyother flannel made over seas.

I've a couple of other brands but one of the newest while a large is snug and the buttons keep coming undone. Paid $14.99 for that one.

I've one or two I bought at TSC on sale and they're pretty good. I like them, but they're not on sale. Sad to say, I do not own a flannel shirt. I have a couple plaid shirts, but no flannel.

4. I know I should know this, but I don't usually have young birds this late in the year. I've three Delaware pullets that are fully feathered but still on grower and not in with the large birds yet. Do they need heat? If they are fully feathered (generally at least 6 weeks old) they should not need heat any longer.

Dels are pretty easy going and I can stick just about anyone in with them and they get along. I've two EE's in there with them now. Older than these Dels.

5. i will take this to the marans thread but I've been having a hard time hatching them. This last batch I got one chick and that one I helped out. The others while fertile didn't hatch. Some looked as though they quit.

Thanks for your help

Rancher

Hi Rancher, nice to 'formally' meet you!

I pop in on the canning thread sometimes and see you there.

See you around!
frow.gif

Hi Rancher, nice to 'formally' meet you!

I pop in on the canning thread sometimes and see you there.

See you around!
frow.gif
Thanks for the replies everyone.

Yes I am on the canning thread sometimes. Just finished up applesauce and may do some grape jelly. A friend gave me 17 cups of concords. They're in the freezer waiting.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Yes I am on the canning thread sometimes. Just finished up applesauce and may do some grape jelly. A friend gave me 17 cups of concords. They're in the freezer waiting.

That's a nice friend!

Back
Top Bottom