Hello! New member from Ontario, Canada

MootChick

In the Brooder
May 2, 2024
Hello!
New member here from Muskoka, Ontario. I have had a shared coop with a friend/neighbour for about a year and a half and recently we separated our little flock and I brought my gals into their own coop in my yard. I have 4 ladies - 2 Barred Rock and 2 Rhode Island Reds.
We call our gals “bush chicks” as we live in the bush by a small lake and the gals like to spend their days in the yard by the edge of the forest fluffing up the leaves. We have 2 dogs as well, and they stay in the yard with the chickens to keep guard and hang out together.
I live on the edge of Northern Ontario so we get some pretty cold, snowy and windy weather - I look forward to getting some advice on keeping the ladies safe and warm this winter.
Looking forward to chatting all things chicken with y’all!

Hiya, and welcome to BYC!! :frow

You have some pretty cold hearty breeds there so as long as their coop is draft-free they should be okay there. If you are worried, many of us heat our coops too. Ours is with an oil-filled radiant heater that keeps the coop from freezing. I don't have to haul water out there daily either is a bonus.

Hiya, and welcome to BYC!! :frow

You have some pretty cold hearty breeds there so as long as their coop is draft-free they should be okay there. If you are worried, many of us heat our coops too. Ours is with an oil-filled radiant heater that keeps the coop from freezing. I don't have to haul water out there daily either is a bonus.
Welcome. I agree with @Debbie292d and do the same.

Back
Top Bottom