Hello. New subscriber.

Old follower new subscriber. I have followed this thread for years. I finally decided to join in the posts. I have too many poultry. I also have 3 guinea fowl, which I am upset with one aggressive male right now who keeps biting me and bringing blood. What to do?
Welcome. I do not have guinea fowl, but someone will come a long soon that does. I do have 3-roosters. I have been able to "tame" all three.

Old follower new subscriber. I have followed this thread for years. I finally decided to join in the posts. I have too many poultry. I also have 3 guinea fowl, which I am upset with one aggressive male right now who keeps biting me and bringing blood. What to do?
Welcome! So glad you joined. I remember those days also. I sure hung around a lot and learned so much information before I joined. Hmmm.... Too many poultry? Is that a thing? I thought it's just called chicken math. 😂

Well, today I put my male Guinea fowl in jail. I have a sectioned off run (8x8) he can go out of the fenced off inside (5x 8) during the day, next to the disabled little hen he protects. I think I will keep him there for a few weeks. I have the coop sectioned off into 4 areas whereby I lock them (chickens and guineas) up at night and allow them all turns out in the grass for a while each day. Did I mention I have too many poultry and have to have them separated into groups? Anyhow, he threw a fit when I first moved him, so I had to remove him back closer to the female. I used to have him with his brother, but one day he left his brother almost dead and extremely bloody. His brother recovered after a while, but I no longer can keep them together. They both usually come up and rub on me for pets and carry time, but I am wary of Trouble right now. I still pick him up and carry him where I want him to go, but I hold his head away from me instead of pettin it. No, I don’t want more females.

Well, today I put my male Guinea fowl in jail. I have a sectioned off run (8x8) he can go out of the fenced off inside (5x 8) during the day, next to the disabled little hen he protects. I think I will keep him there for a few weeks. I have the coop sectioned off into 4 areas whereby I lock them (chickens and guineas) up at night and allow them all turns out in the grass for a while each day. Did I mention I have too many poultry and have to have them separated into groups? Anyhow, he threw a fit when I first moved him, so I had to remove him back closer to the female. I used to have him with his brother, but one day he left his brother almost dead and extremely bloody. His brother recovered after a while, but I no longer can keep them together. They both usually come up and rub on me for pets and carry time, but I am wary of Trouble right now. I still pick him up and carry him where I want him to go, but I hold his head away from me instead of pettin it. No, I don’t want more females.
Sometimes bird jail is all you can do.

Is it time to re-home or send to freezer camp with a dinner invite? Best wishes. Stay safe.

Back
Top Bottom