Hello, y'all!

johanssonmel

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 13, 2014
Wilmington NC
I've just returned to chicken-keeping after a long (20-year) hiatus. We always used to keep chickens, but then I took a job that required constant traveling, much of it international, and it didn't seem fair to say to my husband, "Let's you take care of some chickens."

Last March I was abruptly grounded because of a health issue, and my first thought was, "Now I can have chickens!" My husband and I built the most ridiculous over-the-top chickenhouse and -yard, and I ordered nine four-week-old pullets from Murray MacMurray. I got the older chicks because they could ship in quantites smaller than 15. Also because the legal limit inside the city limits here is 8, and that's how I roll--always on the dangerous edge of lawlessness.

The girls are 16 weeks old now. I've got 2 white-crested Polish (Phyllis and Cruella), 2 cuckoo Marans (Odessa and Miss Marple), 1 black Australorp (Niffin), and 4 Ameraucanas (Bluey, Ginger, Sparrow, and Mrs Norris).

Also two rescued greyhounds, Woody and Twiggy, who aren't allowed anywhere near the peepers because I may be crazy but I'm not stupid.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

So glad you could join our community!

Sounds like you have put together a nice flock!

Make yourself at home here and we do welcome you to our flock!

wooohooo, welcome!

I'd love to see some pictures of your chickens and your coop set up, it sounds awesome.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I've ordered from Murray McMurray on several occasions and have been happy with their birds and service. You should be aware however, if you're not already, that your Ameraucanas are actually Easter Eggers rather than true Ameraucanas. None of the major hatcheries breed true Ameraucanas (except Meyer which has Blue Ameraucanas). The hatcheries (including Murray McMurray) frequently and incorrectly market their Easter Eggers, which are hybrids bred to lay eggs in different colors other than just blue, under the label Ameraucana (often misspelled Americana or Americauna). If you're not familiar with the difference between Ameraucanas, Araucanas, and Easter Eggers, there is a good article at http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2011/09/ameraucana-easter-egger-or-araucana.html explaining the difference. Our Easter Eggers are my granddaughter's (pictured in my avatar) favorite chickens. She loves their colored eggs. Black Australorps are my favorite standard breed. I've raised them for years and they are extremely hardy, calm and gentle (my children, and now my granddaughter, made lap pets of ours), and excellent layers of large, brown eggs. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Welcome to BYC and welcome back to chickens!

We got out newest addition of chickens from Murray McMurray in April and have been very pleased with them. Sounds like you got some nice ones and I like the names you gave them.

Nice to have you join us!

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sounds like you put together a nice flock (all 9 make that 8 of them) and should have a very colorful egg basket!

Back
Top Bottom