Hello

nonk72

In the Brooder
Feb 17, 2016
New to BYC. I just started raising Coturnix quail. I was given 13 quail. That I know I have 3-4 males and the rest females. From my research 10 are of the standard Coturnix, 1 TX A&M, & 2 TN reds. It's been 2-3 weeks now and haven't scene any eggs yet. I did put a light on them last week. I'm hoping to be able to raise a few and experience the whole process. Looking forward to what is to come of this. Thanks for the insight that I will learn threw this group.

Hi nonk and welcome.

You don't say which are males and which females, but I'd split them up. If you're lucky, it's worked out that you have 8 coturnix females and a male and one of each of the TN reds. I'd put in 1 cot male with 4 cot females in a 2x2 or 2x3 cage and the pair of TN reds in another 2x2 cage. I'd keep the A&M (is it white or brown?) in it's own cage if it's female and I'd keep it in the freezer if it's male.

If the TN reds and A&M are all female, I'd still house them in separate cages and I'd split the cot hens up in two cages, but your best 2 males in one cage each, and graduate the other male(s) to freezer camp.

You may have to wait a week or so for laying to start, and keeping them all together will stress them out, so you may not ever get eggs if you don't split them up.

Now I'm kind of curious Em Ty, why wouldn't you keep the A&M with some of the others if it's female? It is my understanding that quail shouldn't be kept alone and I can't see what harm there would be in housing it with the others. And with regards to the TN reds, at first I didn't understand why you would keep those on their own either, but when googling 'TN red quail' my first couple of hits said they were bobwhites, not coturnix. But nonk said he(?) got coturnix, so I'm not sure what those TN reds he has are?
From what I've learned about coturnix on this forum, I'd choose 2 (or 3) 'keeper' males and split the females up between them. If that leaves 1 or two males I'd either eat them or see if they can live together without fighting or alone without appearing miserable. If the TN reds are bobwhites, I'd keep them on their own. But if they are coturnix, I'd put them with the others.

The cots are in addition to the A&M and the 2 TN reds.

If it's a true A&M it'll be much bigger and liable to stress the others, even if it's not picking at them. The TN reds are from bobwhite stock originally and are supposed to be aggressive. At a pinch, I'd keep the A&M and TN reds together. I agree that it's not good to keep them as singles, though I'd keep them in an adjoining cage if I did keep a lone quail.

This is all assuming that they are actually TN reds and an A&M bird. There aren't many true A&M birds out there, so I'd go by colour and size on that. If you've got a pair of TN reds I'd be OK with a female A&M in with them, though you'll have to watch them. If the A&M is male, it's just a useless mouth to feed, as are any other surplus males. If the A&M is male and the TN reds are female, I'd put them together and see how they are and what you can get out of that breeding.

[/IMG]

We have some babie. 2 so far. We set 15 eggs.

Nice tempature humidity gauge I have the same one I've set 30 eggs have 0 day 17

I Just starting to raise them and they had them all together when they were given to me. All I have is 1 white TX A&M. From what they told me they all cross breed. So it's probably not a true TX A&M. I'll take some pics & post when I get home. These were going to the freezer when the gave them to me n decided to try n raise them.

I will separate the 3 different quails. I will eventually separate the rest. I have them all in a cage 3'X5' with a 3'X18" house. On the out side. As far as the 3 different quail I'm going off of pictures I've scene when researching on the Internet and articles I've read. Thanks for all the input so far. I'm sure I'll have many more questions to come.

Really not sure hoping to find out. The only way I guessed to do it is separate & see if I get some eggs. Lol. Learning as I go.

Back
Top Bottom