Hello :)

Thanks everyone! And thanks for linking that article TwoCrows! I will try that hanging old cd's thing. I have a ton of old cd's anyway and it can't hurt, right? Yesterday was another day with no losses. They're mostly integrated into one big flock, except when the adults venture to far from the tree line where the little ones are comfortable, then they tend to hang back. I saw them run and hide from a barn swallow flying overhead yesterday so they're becoming more aware of their surroundings, even if it was just a little swallow. They're figuring out this chicken thing and with the guineas and the roosters looking out for them now too, it's getting safer for them.

Also, I decided yesterday that Dr. Penguin (pictured above on my shoulder) is not a girl. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure he's a dude.

How old is that bird on your shoulder? A good close up of the side of the bird from beak to tail would be best for proper ID. :)

Last edited:
He is 2 months now. This pic is a couple of weeks old. I'll run out in a minute and get a better shot.

EDIT - new pics. He wasn't cooperating
hmm.png

Last edited:
Did you keep him? Any mature photos?

I did keep him until late last year. He was getting super rough with the hens, to the point of bleeding and massive feather loss. The guy who bought him had just lost his SLW rooster to a hawk when it was protecting his flock. I have mature photos of him on my profile though if you'd like to check them out. He grew up beautiful! Just too rough for my liking.

I did keep him until late last year. He was getting super rough with the hens, to the point of bleeding and massive feather loss. The guy who bought him had just lost his SLW rooster to a hawk when it was protecting his flock. I have mature photos of him on my profile though if you'd like to check them out. He grew up beautiful! Just too rough for my liking.

I was also wondering what he looked like mature...went and looked at your profile and the classified photos-he was stunning!

Question-I'm new to SLW not new to chickens though I was under the impression the SLW were a gentler breed. I have had Rhode Island Reds in the past and they were so aggressive and mean also had EE roo and he was such a gentleman.
Are SLW roosters normally aggressive as you describe the one you got rid of?
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom