HELP!!! 2 month old blue slate turkey acting drunk

lafavekaylin

Hatching
May 10, 2022
Hello! I have four 2 month old turkeys. 2 blue slates and 2 bourbon red. The bourbon reds seem to be males as one struts and the other already gobbled and struts. My two blue slates seem to be females. However, just a few days ago, I found one of the blue slates walking normal forward, but would stumble backward like she couldn't get her balance. She can walk fine sometimes. However, when she goes to stop walking, she stumbles. Sometimes she goes to move and nose dived to the ground. She can't really jump and fly up anymore like she would before. It seems like she's off balance. I isolated her, and she's eating and drinking just fine. I put apple cider vinigar and electrolytes in her water and have her still on Purina Game Bird 30% Protein Starter feed. I checked her for injuries on the legs and back, but I didn't see any. She sleeps fine, and they are all locked up at night so I'm not concerned about predators. I am just so confused at what to do. Because I can not figure out what it could be. This has been going on for 3 days. It's not improving but not getting worse. She still eats good and drinks lots of water. This is my first time with Turkeys! Any advice would be appreciated!
Thank you.
She is on the left in the first picture. She is also slightly smaller than the rest.

Attachments

• 20230714_092529.jpg
    20230714_092529.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 29
  • 20230714_092459.jpg
    20230714_092459.jpg
    862.7 KB · Views: 9
Always include your location and a run-down of your recent weather when asking for advice on a sick bird. A hot spell can produce these symptoms. Extreme cold can also cause "drunk" behavior.

It's crucial to give electrolytes when you see such symptoms. It can treat a possible health emergency as well as to help rule out weather related health issues.

Thank you for replying. Yes it had been hot here in Michigan. Last week got up into the mid 90s. I had a fan on them in the coop. It only dips down into the mid 60s at night so if anything it could be heat related? I have electrolytes and apple cider vinigar in her water. It has now been 4 days no improvement. The weather is back into the high 70s not as hot as last week. But I don't know what else to do?

Try giving one teaspoon of sugar in one cup of water plus electrolytes. This is first aid for heat stress. Forget the ACV. It's not beneficial in these circumstances.

In very hot weather, giving frozen treats can help. One favorite is to freeze canned corn into a block of ice for the birds to peck at. Place in a pan to collect melt water, and the birds will drink the cold water.

Back
Top Bottom