Help.. 2 month old chick with leg weakness, wobbling and heavy breathing, panting

marlimay1

In the Brooder
Feb 17, 2023
I have a 2 month old chick who was raised by his mother until about 2 weeks ago. I had to remove the mother from the coop bc she was starting to be aggressive towards 1 of the chicks (not the chick I'm having issues with) about 2 days later I noticed this little guy was not getting around well so I brought him inside so he would not get trampled. We thought it was spraddle leg and used a hobble for 3 days he appeared to be getting better and actually was able to get on the perch. The following day however he began to go down hill.. he let out his first rooster crow but then was breathing very heavily and began to show signs of weakness again with his front leg extended and toes curled while sitting and falling over while trying to walk. I've tried vet rx, magic water, poultry cell, herbs to promote respiratory health but nothing seems to be helping. I have tylan 50 but I'm hesitant to administer bc he is so light and I'm not sure about the dosage or what is actually wrong so unsure if it will help or hinder. Also he is eating and drinking normally so I don't know what to think. Any information would be appreciated!!

Attachments

• 169988636514098397146999667236.jpg
    169988636514098397146999667236.jpg
    402.2 KB · Views: 84
  • 16998864024437139595924299068280.jpg
    16998864024437139595924299068280.jpg
    505.3 KB · Views: 9
began to show signs of weakness again with his front leg extended and toes curled while sitting and falling over while trying to walk.
Vitamin deficiency, or Marek's.. would be first considerations according to the symptoms. Some things look similar (new casrle's disease, lymphoid leukosis)..

What is his normal feed routine? Are you able to detect any swelling, bruising, etc.

Mothers often get aggressive toward chicks.. to let them know it's time to move on from her protection and she is above them in the pecking order.. I've not YET seen anyone actually get hurt.. it's *usually* more so pecking them away then intently going after them. I also usually let the mother integrate the chicks with the rest of the flock WHILE she is still protecting them.

He is a little cutie! Hope he recovers quickly! :fl

2 month old chick who was raised by his mother until about 2 weeks ago. I had to remove the mother from the coop bc she was starting to be aggressive towards 1 of the chicks (not the chick I'm having issues with) about 2 days later I noticed this little guy was not getting around well so I brought him inside so he would not get trampled. We thought it was spraddle leg and used a hobble for 3 days he appeared to be getting better and actually was able to get on the perch. The following day however he began to go down hill.. he let out his first rooster crow but then was breathing very heavily and began to show signs of weakness again with his front leg extended and toes curled while sitting and falling over while trying to walk. I've tried vet rx, magic water, poultry cell, herbs to promote respiratory health but nothing seems to be helping. I have tylan 50 but I'm hesitant to administer bc he is so light and I'm not sure about the dosage or what is actually wrong so unsure if it will help or hinder. Also he is eating and drinking normally so I don't know what to think.
Can he stand at all?

Any swelling of the joints?

What's his poop like?

Is he in new housing since Mom weaned him? Been on new ground?

I would not give the Tylan, it's mainly used to treat respiratory illness, you don't report any respiratory symptoms.

I'd work on him eating his chick starter and begin giving vitamin therapy. Give 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily.

Vitamin deficiency, or Marek's.. would be first considerations according to the symptoms. Some things look similar (new casrle's disease, lymphoid leukosis)..

What is his normal feed routine? Are you able to detect any swelling, bruising, etc.

Mothers often get aggressive toward chicks.. to let them know it's time to move on from her protection and she is above them in the pecking order.. I've not YET seen anyone actually get hurt.. it's *usually* more so pecking them away then intently going after them. I also usually let the mother integrate the chicks with the rest of the flock WHILE she is still protecting them.

He is a little cutie! Hope he recovers

He is a little cutie! Hope he recovers quickly! :fl
Ty!! I've been keeping a small amount of food in his dish at all times for the most part.. he's been on the purina start and grow.. I started on the non medicated but have switched to the medicated recently. Also the past few days I've been giving him scrambled eggs and mixing the poultry cell in with it. I havent noticed any swelling or bruising but his toes are curling and it seems to be getting worse.. started with just 1 foot but now its both. Yesterday he seemed to be having an ok day, but today he is having a harder time getting around falling face first and just can't seem to keep his balance.

Can he stand at all?

Any swelling of the joints?

What's his poop like?

Is he in new housing since Mom weaned him? Been on new ground?

I would not give the Tylan, it's mainly used to treat respiratory illness, you don't report any respiratory symptoms.

I'd work on him eating his chick starter and begin giving vitamin therapy. Give 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily.
Ty!! He can stand but has a hard time walking.. toes are curling and his balance is not the best. His poop looks normal I will post a pic soon, I just cleaned his cage and he hasn't gone yet. No swelling or bruising that I can see. Yes he is in new housing, ive been keeping him inside in a dog kennel. He's only ever been in the coop he was born in and now the house. He is breathing heavily and making odd sounds.. I read something about sour crop causing heavy breathing and lameness but I honestly don't that is the issue bc of the curling toes.. his crop does feel kind of doughy but that's not something I've dealt with before. His appetite is normal which is also throwing me off.. hes eating and drinking quite a bit actually. I will definitely try the b complex!

Ty!! I've been keeping a small amount of food in his dish at all times for the most part.. he's been on the purina start and grow.. I started on the non medicated but have switched to the medicated recently. Also the past few days I've been giving him scrambled eggs and mixing the poultry cell in with it. I havent noticed any swelling or bruising but his toes are curling and it seems to be getting worse.. started with just 1 foot but now its both.
Is there a reason why you switched to medicated chick starter? In the US it contains a very small amount of Amprolium which is a Coccidiostat used to treat Coccidiosis, it has no antibiotic properties.

Try the B-Complex and see if that helps. I'd be interested in seeing his poop.

Is there a reason why you switched to medicated chick starter? In the US it contains a very small amount of Amprolium which is a Coccidiostat used to treat Coccidiosis, it has no antibiotic properties.

Try the B-Complex and see if that helps. I'd be interested in seeing his poop.
I switched just to cover all the bases.. I had read about coccidiosis and saw something about blood in the stool. I did see a trace amount of red in his poo when this all started, but have not seen it at least in the past cpl days. It was a tiny amount to begin with and not runny. Started the b complex this morning.. crushed it and mixed in with the starter feed and he woofed it right down. I saw something in another thread about vit e so I gave him that as well mixed with yogurt and he ate that right up as well. However he seems to be more lame today, can still stand but more wobbly than ever. Also he's still breathing heavily but he doesn't have his mouth open anymore (a few days ago he was panting almost non stop). I also checked his eyes to see if they had turned grey, and they havent. Here are some pictures of his poo

Attachments

• 20231114_110144.jpg
    20231114_110144.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 20231114_110112.jpg
    20231114_110112.jpg
    590.9 KB · Views: 5
I switched just to cover all the bases.. I had read about coccidiosis and saw something about blood in the stool. I did see a trace amount of red in his poo when this all started, but have not seen it at least in the past cpl days. It was a tiny amount to begin with and not runny. Started the b complex this morning.. crushed it and mixed in with the starter feed and he woofed it right down. I saw something in another thread about vit e so I gave him that as well mixed with yogurt and he ate that right up as well. However he seems to be more lame today, can still stand but more wobbly than ever. Also he's still breathing heavily but he doesn't have his mouth open anymore (a few days ago he was panting almost non stop). I also checked his eyes to see if they had turned grey, and they havent. Here are some

99% sure this is slipped tendon.. feeling terrible bc I couldn't figure it out sooner. Thinking the chick needs to be culled.. any suggestions?

Can you feel the tendon out of place?

Usually slipped tendon is seen in much younger chicks ( at hatch to a couple of weeks old), but it's possible to see it in older birds.

If you can feel the tendon slipped out, you can try putting it back in and splinting the leg to see if it heals. Slipped tendon can be very difficult to correct though, so it may not work.

Culling is an option if you feel he's not improving or in pain or that his quality of life is non existent. Cervical dislocation would be the method I'd use for a bird this age.

I'm sorry.

Back
Top Bottom