Help? 2 week old chick sounds weird

vicki017

Chirping
Mar 12, 2016
One of my Rhode Island Red chicks sounds like it's going through a voice change at 2 weeks old, most of the time it's "peep peep" but once in a while I hear like what geese make. Is this an indication it's a male? Or is it completely normal? The others haven't been doing it that I'm aware of I think one other may be doing it but not positive. Any ideas on what it is?

My oldest one who we got from the straight run. Is about 3 weeks and she/he peeps like the rest but will make like a voice changing sound wish I can catch it to record it. I gesses it kinda sounds like a goose chirp as well but does not do a rooster arch to to it so praying it is just at that stage. Hope it helps but I too am first time chick mom.

At least I know someone else is experiencing it too! I just hope it's not a male trying to crow or if it's sick, guess we will both wait and see

Well I bought him/her thinking since it was a bit bigger then the rest it may of been a roo. But I am not so sure
since it's crown is more pinkish then red
can be seen better here
However someone in the brooder sounds like a canary lol

I had a Marans pullet that I got around 2 months of age. She honked like a goose for months and never made the clucking sounds my other pullet made. And she was definitely a "she." I guess some of them just don't read the instruction manual regarding the noises chickens are supposed to make. LOL!

Last edited:
Oh I see, mine is medium compared to my other's tho I have diff breeds and my other Rhode Island Red is the smallest of the bunch

It's the bottom one, I didn't pick mine since they all looked the same an just told the guy to pick 2 of them xD my eyes saw them all as the same

I had a Marans pullet that I got around 2 months of age.  She honked like a goose for months and never made the clucking sounds my other pullet made.  Eventually she started sounding more like a chicken.  I think some of them just don't read the instruction manual regarding the noises chickens are supposed to make.  LOL!

LOL! If that's the case then she deserves a special name! I'm going to have to think about that now

LOL! If that's the case then she deserves a special name! I'm going to have to think about that now
She did eventually start making chicken noises as she got older. She would still honk occasionally, though. Unfortunately we lost her in January - she was about 14 months old.

Back
Top Bottom