Help- 3 day hold chick, weak, eyes closed, clogged vent

Tuesday87

Chirping
Apr 13, 2023
1) partridge cochin, about 3 days old, just mailed to us
2) smaller, weaker, would burrow under others but seemed disoriented, bumping into brooder wall, open closing beak, sort of lunging head forward for a sec, keeps eyes closed most of the time (more so today), vent was blocked but I cleaned it and dried her carefully with drier. laying around a lot, will rouse if I pick her up and rub her to make sure she isn't gone. about an hour ago was worst ive seen her.
3) since yesterday
4) the other 6 chicks are all up, healthy and active
5) no signs of trauma
6) noticed early today that her vent was blocked, soaked her bum in a tub of warm water and used a paper towel to gently clean it off as it softened. then I used the hair dryer set to low, at minimum 12 inches away until she returned to being fluffy.
7) I have unmedicated crumbles, and water with the hydration new chick powder init (I can't remember the brand got it at TSC) I made up a sugar water solution and gave a few drops earlier (twice) and just now got a raw egg from one of my adults and used a dropped to give her a little of the yolk. she seems slightly better (as in not limp and barely breathing- started to peep, stand here and there, etc but still eyes closed, mostly sleeping and im holding her loosely wrapped in washcloth on a warmed up heating pad.
8) the only poo ive seen is white and light brownish like normal chick poop
9) holding and waking her often while she rests on the heating pad in my lap, a bit of egg yolk just now, a bit of sugar water with a pinch of salt about 3 hours ago
10 ) Im hoping to find a solution to help this wee one, I don't have a vet who will see chickens very nearby. I love my birds, I am accustomed to death and culling when situations are dire. I do my very best to help them if I can.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use- I have a K&H pet thermal chicken brooder in a large plastic tub for now and use large pine flakes for substrate. the 6 other chicks are fine

As im taking photos and typing this she's more peep-y will stand if I pick her up but then wobbles down into a lay down with beak tip resting in front of her.
Im hoping this is positive- just had much louder peeps and stirring but I don't think were out of the woods yet- still eyes closed. she had them open when she arrived

Attachments

• IMG_6911.jpeg
    IMG_6911.jpeg
    260.3 KB · Views: 17
she just passed :/ our lil Bo Peep, my daughter (7yo) and I named her. I imagine she had a clogged vent when she got here from the stress of traveling. Wish I had seen it right away. Won't make that mistake again.

It really never gets easier. It's always just so sad.
Now to go break it to the kiddo. Anyone else cry over their chickens? just me? *sad*

she just passed :/ our lil Bo Peep, my daughter (7yo) and I named her. I imagine she had a clogged vent when she got here from the stress of traveling. Wish I had seen it right away. Won't make that mistake again.

It really never gets easier. It's always just so sad.
Now to go break it to the kiddo. Anyone else cry over their chickens? just me? *sad*
I’m so sorry….

Back
Top Bottom