HELP!! Abandoned chick won't stop loud chirping

chickiemomma

In the Brooder
11 Years
Feb 19, 2008
New City, New York
My broody RIR hen hatched 5 chicks last week but was still sitting on several eggs. When I went to check on them yesterday the hen and 5 chicks were not in the nest and there was an broken eggshell. I looked around and found the recently hatched chick on the other side of the coop. It was wet and cold to the touch, eyes closed, not moving, opening mouth but not making any noise. I took the chick inside and put it under a heat lamp and gave it some quick chick. It made it through the night. Has some pasty butt and not eating very well but active. It keeps chirping loudly unless somebody is holding it. As soon as we put it back in the brooder it starts chirping again and stands in the corner of the brooder looking at us. Is it lonely? I gave it a stuffed teddy bear, the chick slept on it last night. Unfortunately i don't have another chick to put in with it. I have other chicks but they are all older. What should I do? Why is it not eating? Why is it chirping all the time? Please help!

Last edited:
I am in the same boat, I have a singleton that hatched days too early. I have gotten it to start eating, I scatter food on the bottom of the bin and start pecking and flicking at it with my finger. It goes nuts with the movement of the food and pecks away. I suspect it is the loneliness that is causing the constent chirping. I've placed a few small items like little glass beads, a half a plastic easter egg and again "pecked" at them with my finger, that gets some response. I'm going to try a mirror, thanks to whoever gave that suggestion.

It sounds terrible but try force feeding it. Nothing liquid though, just solids. I've done that with my little chick and its doing great, I also use my fingers and peck at the food on the floor to teach it and it worked. It's eating and drinking on its own. For the noise I suggest a microwavable bean bag/hot water bottle and a blanket. It needs something warm to cuddle up to and it need the darkness. I also use a heater on a timer so it keeps the air warm as well as makes a noise so the chick doesn't feel alone. Remember the chick will never stop making noises because even when it thinks it is with it's mom it will make noises to communicate with it. Under a mother hen those chicks chirp. This works for my litte baby I hope it works for yours!!

I had a chick that was very simular to this one.. unfortunatly it did pass on this morning but it just wanted to be held all the time. Chirping loudly. Mayby you could dropper feed it some chick start or something to get it going and maybe call around the feed stores that sell chicks and try to find one within a couple of days and get it a friend..

Grab one of it's siblings and put in with it. If it doesn't start eating then, you might try some hard boiled egg crushed up really fine.
If you can't catch one of the chicks, try putting a mirror in with the lonely chick.

Or try putting it back with the hen at night.

Jean

Last edited:
I know of only place that sells chicks locally, but they have a 6 chick minimum. As much as i would love to I can't take that many.

I tried hard boiled egg, it would not eat it.

Would it be ok to put this one back with the broody even though the other chicks are 1 week older? They are not sitting under the hen as much at this point. They seem to be out exploring their coop every time I check on them.

Don't have a feather duster but I will try the mirror next.

I also checked the temp. the warmest place is just under 95?.

Will it eat anything? If not, you might as well put it back under mom tonight and hope for the best. They can live for 3 days without eating, but it is better if they eat right away. If I have to move a single chick and take it away from its friends for a bit I stick it in my shirt right up by my shoulder, they always settle in and go to sleep. That might let your little one get some rest, but won't solve the eating problem. Good luck.

I'm worried that she might either leave it again or kill it if I put in with her. It's still to cold for it to survive the night without heat. In the last 45 min the chick has eaten a little plain organic yogurt, tiny bit of chick feed and has been drinking. Still chirping like crazy. I couldn't take it anymore, so it is now sleeping on me.

Back
Top Bottom