Help!!! Agressive Roo...big Daddy...DREW BLOOD PIC. ON 3RD PAGE

2txmedics

Songster
10 Years
Jul 5, 2009
Manvel Texas
Ok, He was one of 7 more roos in with my flock of hens (8)...so I got rid of 6 Roos, as much as I didnt want, this was like 4mos ago...for the 2mos no problem...

NOW...The minute I go into the run, to feed or clean, he ATTACKS me!!! comes up on me and pushes me from my back flying up, just like when he fights. I posted in here, everyone said give him a good whop and its done with...well I have for 2mos!!! NOTHING, STILL DOES IT!!!!

So I left for Kansas for 2wks, DH was taking care of the coops, I asked did u have a problem with Big Daddy NOPE NOT AT ALL...didnt buck up to me at all...So I get home and since the first day ....

SAME OLE THING, HE ATTACKS ME...so I decided to change my cloths, shoes, even baseball caps thinking maybe something was making him scared, NOPE...I now walk in there with one of those small rakes, and use it when he comes up I whop him....

WHAT IS THE DEAL? AND CAN I EVER FIX THIS WITHOUT HAVING TO WATCH MY BACK? he almost drew blood from me with his hocks the other day, what saved me was I had jeans on .....

Last edited:
hi doe, why don't you make it become a bowl of chicken soup?
big_smile.png

yes, i also have one, i just place him in a cage and don't care it, just feed it until i find out a new recipe to make delicious food.
big_smile.png

Hello,
I had a couple roo's that did that to me. So I started picking them up everyday and petting them and saying awww your so pretty. and so on. they hated it. They don't peck me anymore though. They know that I am dominant over them and they are not over me. You should try that. Whoping them has never worked for me either it just makes them want to attack you more. Never run from them either.

Ps: Now one of my roo's loves to be picked up that was attacking me. Lol...

watch the behavior of other roosters and emulate the behavior of the head one. You establish how close to you this guy can be without getting chased away. I have never really had to whop one as much as move quickly toward them and make them move away from me. If the strut away that is no good, they need to duck and run just like a submissive rooster that is down the list.

If a lesser rooster is breeding a female and the big guy comes over the lesser one ducks and runs. That is what you want from your guy if he is in your space. The big guy does not mess with the little guys if they keep their distance and if they dont breed hens in front of them.

I have used this for quite some time and I have no trouble with roosters. It is all about attitude when they come around. If they get in my space with the least little bit of arrogance they get chased away. If they turn to fight that is when the rake comes into play LOL

I fully beleive that the reason the pick up and carry thing works is that the rooster will more often than not be chased or cornered to be picked up. That for sure puts that fella in a lesser role. I am not sure the carrying and cooing is a part of the lesson. It could be but just doesnt make sense to me. For sure being packed around by someone will also put them in a role of being submissive.

Last edited:
If you don't want him to be soup, maybe follow the advice of Cesar Milan, dog trainer. You are the dominant pack leader. Go in with that attitude and do not let him give you any crap. He is doing his job, protecting his flock - he thinks he is dominant over you, and he is. But remember you are way bigger, and he is a chicken. Can you grab him and just hold him until he stops struggling? I have three, one of which is dominant - he pecks me sometimes, not hard, but when he does that I pick him up and just hold him until he stops kicking. That calms him right down. Maybe you could try throwing a towel on him and then picking him up. Let me know how it goes!

My boy tried it on with me twice. First time I kicked him into the coop (not hard but with stocking feet) and the second time I chased him around the run with a rake. Never hit him, just chased him. He hasn't tried it since.

oK, READ IT AND GOT IT...Ive got this...as my grand babies say...

I watch Cesar Milan...infact we use the tatics on our dogs...we have 7...I dont even have to speak to them, all sign language...

ok..time for a 2-3wks training test...keep u posted.

Back
Top Bottom