Help...All of my Chickens are dying

nohobbymomma

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 7, 2014
We just lost our 3rd chicken this month. A RIR, a Silkie and just now our Copper Maran. They are about 7 months old. We have had a cold snap here but i feel like that isn't the problem. Our rooster had been acting funny yesterday standing alone with his eyes closed and not eating well. Any advice would be appreciated. I want to save my last 4 girls.

Not a lot of info here... try and fill out the form so that we can figure out what's going on and save your chickens!
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use

Murder. I found onions, avacados, and chocolate remnants in and near the pen. My neighbors have a handicapped grandchild who likes to come over and "look" at our animals when she visits. I know it was her. I am sad. I have warned my neighbors that I would be guarding my backyard from now on and I cannot be responsible for what happens if I catch any of them in the yard. I have 4 girls left. I have bleached the run and coop for there safety.

ugh :( I'm sorry to hear that. At least you found the cause and can hopefully "easily" prevent it from happening again. I hope the neighbors try to cooperate with you.

They were sorry for the most part. I have posted signs around all the pens. I also put deer cameras up to see what goes on while I am at work.
It's a shame because I had all of those chicks from birth. I am looking for a local breeder that had laying hens for sale. Where do I look on here? ?

oh that is so awful. disabled or not that is not acceptable behaviour (are you sure it's the child and not the adults????) Can you make a more secure run and only let them range when you are able to keep an eye on them for the next wee while? It sounds horrible to say but I suspect there is more to this than just a wee girl trying the be friendly and 'feed the birdies' someone must have googled the things that are poisonous as normally it would be bread etc (my neighbour's kid feeds my hens his sandwiches and cold meat, which I've warned his dad about being too salty for them to get often, but that's the worst they throw over).

Hopefully the warning is enough to let the neighbours know you are on to the cause and dont try anything else. I hope the rest of your birds make a full and happy recovery.

Back
Top Bottom