HELP!!!!!!!!!!! ALL of my hens have stopped laying eggs!

I have 3 hens. They were all great layers until early this year. They started slacking off and now only 2 of them are laying, now and again. The 3rd hasn't layed in a few months or so. I did lose one in March and the one not laying now was really close to her. I think that may have done it for her. I have the light, the right food, calcium, water, what else can I do? I'm at a loss. Anyone out there that is experiencing this and can give some tips??

I have 3 hens. They were all great layers until early this year. They started slacking off and now only 2 of them are laying, now and again. The 3rd hasn't layed in a few months or so. I did lose one in March and the one not laying now was really close to her. I think that may have done it for her. I have the light, the right food, calcium, water, what else can I do? I'm at a loss. Anyone out there that is experiencing this and can give some tips??
How old are they? Hens stop laying after a while. Also, when hens go through a "traumatizing" event, such as a "best hen" leaving, they can stop laying eggs.

Also...
What does their poop look like and have you ever had it tested for worms?

How old are they? Hens stop laying after a while. Also, when hens go through a "traumatizing" event, such as a "best hen" leaving, they can stop laying eggs.
Thank you for this info. I did have one of their sisters pass away a few months ago but was hoping they would get back to normal. Only one is laying right now, the other one that was laying is molting now. Oh well! I love my girls and don't care if they lay much. LOL! <3

About 6 months ago a predator got one of our hens and tried to get another one who was able to get away. After that, all of my other ones stopped laying...all of the remaining 7. It happened immediately! It took about 4 months but they finally started laying again. I think it was a combination of the predator and also the fact that the one who was killed was probably the "favorite" in the group.

This is common. Chickens get stressed out when a "friend" leaves and then they stop laying. Usually they pick it up again in a few days to a few weeks.
Thank you for this info. We lost a hen (my best layer) to a coyote or a bear last Sunday morning. Then we got 3 & 4 eggs the next 2 days, respectively, and now we are just getting 1. 3 ladies I know were laying have stopped & I suspected one might be egg bound, but after a rather awkward inspection of her vent I don't think that's the case. They must be mourning the loss of their friend.

Can losing a friend really cause stress like that? I lost a girl 4 months ago and they didn't seem to care at all. But my hens laying has really stunk lately, and I am at a loss for what it is. They are free range, eat organic layer and there are tons of bugs outside right now, and there is no egg eating, molting, or hidden nests as far as I know. But 3 eggs out of 7 hens a day really is stinky.

Can losing a friend really cause stress like that? I lost a girl 4 months ago and they didn't seem to care at all. But my hens laying has really stunk lately, and I am at a loss for what it is. They are free range, eat organic layer and there are tons of bugs outside right now, and there is no egg eating, molting, or hidden nests as far as I know. But 3 eggs out of 7 hens a day really is stinky.
Idk, I haven't had chickens for that long, but after one of them was killed I started getting soft shell or membrane eggs w no yolk, or a clear yolk. Today I finally got 3 normal eggs. I also dismissed it as it being bc they are new layers, the heat, & no longer letting them free range after the attack. They seem to have settled down now, but I have 1 more that was laying before that I haven't confirmed she's laying again.

Back
Top Bottom