Help! Baby chick with broken (?) toes

cheddarbabe

Hatching
Apr 6, 2024
Hey everyone! We just picked up our Swedish flower hen chicks this morning and noticed that one of them (Sunny - "Sunflower") has strange toes. They are not straight like the rest and kink off to the side (see foto). The sections that are kinked off still move around (almost floppy) so I think this must've happened fairly recently. I saw that splinting is something that's done with curled toes but I don't think it's that. Almost seems like they're broken? How could I help this poor little girl? Her other foot is fine. Thanks a whole bunch!
20240406_225543.jpg

I’ve been dealing with the same thing, poor thing was so spry and then saw she had a broken toe.

The others ganged up a little on her so had to separate her but then she got super lethargic. She perks up around the others to eat but not nearly enough like the others.

Hoping she turns around but any advice on how to get them to turn around beyond some electrolyte water or egg yolk would be so helpful. Like the sort of splint or sandal I should be putting her in.

All y’all have been so helpful in the other forums I’ve read. Thank you!

Almost seems like they're broken? How could I help this poor little girl?
Hi there, welcome to BYC! :frow

Possibly bent toes.. different than curly.. a genetic or congenital deformity.. *possibly* not to be corrected. (I would not and this is according to my experience and other current indicators.)

Is she already limping, which could be a symptom of pain.. or otherwise normal behavior?

I don't see any swelling or redness that would indicate recent injury.

Cute babies! 🥰

I'm pretty sure they're just curled toes, not broken. I could be wrong, though, so wait for other replies before doing anything yet ;)

Here's a good way to fix curled toes: https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...s-with-tape-picture-tutorial-and-video.75247/

Good luck! :frow
Hi everyone! Thanks for your help! We followed the instructions and had the tape on for 2 days. After taking it off Sunny stumbled around a little but her toes looked much better! It's been more than a week now and she seems to have no issues anymore!

Back
Top Bottom