HELP, baby chicken won't stop distressed chirping!!!!

Oh gee, sounds serious. She doesn't seem to have any poo around her bottom. What should I do if it's sour crop? How would I find out? Thanks for the reply.

I found mine has vent gleek which is why I was asking about the poo bottom or sour crop. Both can cause each other if their stomach ph levels are not even.

I would start by looking at what sort of bedding you have them on? If all they are eating is chick starter then the bedding is the only thing could cause a crop issue. Treatment for sour crop is pretty brutal I would think for a couple week old chick (don't they hold them upside down and massage till they vomit it up?), I would do some more research on signs and treatment in a chick that young first.

In the meantime I would remove the bedding you are using and see if she improves with that gone in case she is just eating wood shavings.

I agree, remove the bedding so they can't eat it. I also wouldn't recommend tipping the chick upside down, ive seen that it can kill the chicken by choking.

Thanks for all the replies. I didn't even think about the possibilities of something other than hunger or temperature. I will look into all suggested a little more and hopefully get to the bottom of her upset.

Thanks for all the replies. I didn't even think about the possibilities of something other than hunger or temperature. I will look into all suggested a little more and hopefully get to the bottom of her upset.

Keep us updated! :fl. Also, have you tried a stuffed animal? My little one really liked a stuffed animal and that seemed to soothe her. If you don't have one of those in there I would give that a try.

What type of feed are you giving her? What type of bedding? Is she pooping at all and what does it look like? You say your possibilities are hunger or temperature. Is she huddling with the other chicks or is she separating herself from the others away from the light. Photos of your brooder set up and you cutie pies would be great.

The floor is wool carpet covered heavily by bamboo leaves - they haven't made it down to the carpet. The feed is chicken starter feed - I grind it up. I also feed them some seeds and oats ground up. Sometimes some spinach leaves or a slice of cucumber. I'm worried as I haven't seen Saturn poo. The others poop fine, they are solid, sometimes squooshy though. Saturn both snuggles and separates herself from the others. She doesn't seem to sleep as much as the others either. I'll go take a photo now.

This is the brooder. Temp sits at about 33°c, but patchers are down to 28°c. Plenty of places to cool down

This is Saturn. Her crop does look a little larger than the others crops.

This is all three. Butter-Grumbles(little black Australorp) and Persnicketts (Gold laced Wyandotte)

Ambe0487, I did put a teddy in and Saturn did settle for an hour or so. She even nested on top

Back
Top Bottom