Help baby guineas droping like flies!

balderman2002

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 20, 2008
Burlington NC
I hatched out from my incubator 11 baby guineas.They are almost 2 weeks old. They are in the house with a light on them. I have been hatching and raising birds for 20 years and I have lost a few here and there, but never like this. Yesterday one got puffed up and 30 min later his neck was turned under ( not back) and started gasping, and could not get up and died 10 min later. All the other guineas were fine. About 2 hours later another one did the exact thing. Another one about 2 hours after that one Exact same way.. All had been eating and drinking great. So I lost 3 yesterday. This morning all looked great, then a couple hours ago i lost another one the exact same way. They had been on sou then states starter feed before they started getting sick. I switched there feed to dumor turkey starter 2 days before they started getting sick, That's the only thing i could think of, I switched them back but I am still loosing them. When I switched feed I mixed half and half, i have never had a problem with this in the past. I have had birds necks turn back but never under. Please help!!! Brandy

aw, I'm so sorry about your losses. I am new to chickens, and have never raised guineas so I can only take a few guesses of why you are losing all these guineas to what appears to be the same problem. Lets see...If they are under a heat lamp, is it possible that they are to hot? Is the lamp to close? Is the brooder to crowded? is food and water always available at all times? Sorry, I'm not much of a help. Hopefully someone with more experience will come along. Good Luck!

I am sorry to hear the loss of your guineas . I think you should try switching back to the old feed .a lady that i bought some chicks from told me if i ever see a chick sick to buy duramycin a antibiotic & put it in the water for all them so that the others can be treated early incase they caught it too. Just follow the directions. I hope you get to save the rest.

Back
Top Bottom