Jun 2, 2023
So I just hatched a batch of 22 chicks, 19 made it to hatch and then yesterday one of the chicks started acting weird in the brooder. It was in the incubator about 12 hours before I moved it to the brooder.

After about an hour in the brooder I noticed it was weak and panting and also seemed to be really unbalanced it would stand really upright and then just flip on its back. So I removed it and put It back in the brooder another 4 hours. It looked like it was doing really well so I placed it back in the brooder. Another hour later I checked on it and it was dead. I just assumed it was a fluke “failure to thrive”.

Until this morning when another chick from later in the hatch(so also about 12 hours old) started acting the same way. Weak, panting and appeared to be having trouble staying upright. I’ve caught it on its back a few times in just an hour. So again I’ve placed it and a friend back into the incubator. I’ve also given it a lid full of flockleader recover 911 vitamin water, but I’m wondering if there’s anything else I could do for it? I’ve done several hatches and never had more than one just do so terribly and then die so suddenly in a batch.

Photos of a few of the precious babies for attention.

Attachments

• IMG_3530.jpeg
    IMG_3530.jpeg
    405.6 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_3537.jpeg
    IMG_3537.jpeg
    282.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 73093070643__0ECDCBE1-F1AC-4E09-BB37-CE20AAAB1038.jpeg
    73093070643__0ECDCBE1-F1AC-4E09-BB37-CE20AAAB1038.jpeg
    299.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3557.jpeg
    IMG_3557.jpeg
    267.2 KB · Views: 7
Adorable chicks!
Your not a first time Hatcher, but you dont have cedar bedding, or pine that is to fresh (aromatic)?
If I have weak or sleepy chicks, I use Quick Chick and add a little sugar to boost them.
I hope you dont loose anymore.
It is aspen livestock shavings, the two chicks that have been sick are the same breed and it kicked in at almost the exact same time after hatching. I’m not sure if it’s a vitamin deficiency or if it’s neuro. I placed it back in the incubator a few hours ago and this one is not acting any better like the first one did. It’s actually much worse, it’s developed a head twitch and shoots upright, opening its beak and then lands on its back a lot. Probably a dozen times I’ve seen in an hour. Is this a sign of pain? If you think so I’m seriously considering culling it as I don’t want it to suffer in anyway.

If your chicks are falling on their backs, then there is a serious problem. I've had several of my birds die that way (They can't breathe well in that position). Also added with panting, these symptoms make me think that your chicks do not have adequate ventilation. Is the brooder airy and breathable?

Also, it could just be several runts in your hatch. If they are smaller and very weak, separate them and keep an eye on them. I'd use Nutridrench if that is the situation and make sure they drink water and eat. In my experience runts usually don't eat much compared to other chicks.

I hope your chicks get better! They sure are cute!

If your chicks are falling on their backs, then there is a serious problem. I've had several of my birds die that way (They can't breathe well in that position). Also added with panting, these symptoms make me think that your chicks do not have adequate ventilation. Is the brooder airy and breathable?

Also, it could just be several runts in your hatch. If they are smaller and very weak, separate them and keep an eye on them. I'd use Nutridrench if that is the situation and make sure they drink water and eat. In my experience runts usually don't eat much compared to other chicks.

I hope your chicks get better! They sure are cute!
The brooder is an open top sterilite tub, my govee monitor is reading 94.8 right now under the basking spot. There are two runts and there’re actually quite spunky and active. These two started panting around the same time after they hatched an entire day apart. The panting progressed to flipping over. The first chick didn’t make much longer after It started flipping over, but the second chick has also started tilting its head back as well as flipping over. At this point I’m thinking I should cull it. I read head tilting and closing the eyes is a sign of pain.

Hmmm... my only other guess is a disease among your chicks as my quail died the same exact way (Same symptoms too). I pretty sure they are too weak and are not getting enough nutrients or something along that line. Maybe @Nabiki could help.

Hmmm... my only other guess is a disease among your chicks as my quail died the same exact way (Same symptoms too). I pretty sure they are too weak and are not getting enough nutrients or something along that line. Maybe @Nabiki could help.
A disease that kicks in 12 hours after hatch? That affected two chicks that never came in contact? Is it possible it’s a vitamin E deficiency? I think I read that it can cause neurological disorder like symptoms? Such as imbalance and head tilting.

Sorry, I meant a deformity (Not external, maybe internal) in the chick. You did mention that you've hatched from the same birds and had no problems like this, so I guess deformity may not be a valid point. Maybe, maybe not. I do think it is some sort of deficiency in nutrients though. What are you feeding the chicks?

Back
Top Bottom