Help! Bad design? Or am I just clumsy?

Saqqara

Chirping
May 16, 2018
Ok, so that wasn't the best title for a new thread, but I could use some advice.
I'm new to raising chickens and I have 11 3-5 week old chicks in a coop out Back. Today, while bringing them a treat, I stepped on one of the older chicks, breaking her toe. Anyway, my question is, how do I keep the 'kids' from getting under my feet when I open the run door? I feel terrible. She seems to be okay, but has a limp. We haven't put up a poultry fence yet, but there must be a way to open the coop to go in without trampling the little ones.
Here is a picture of my coop.

Attachments

• IMG_2030.JPG
    IMG_2030.JPG
    148.6 KB · Views: 32
Cute coop! Not sure what advice I can give, just that you should probably try to shuffle around the kids for a while until they're a bit older and less prone to being underfoot! Once they hit 7-8 weeks old, they get quite good at bobbing and weaving. ;)

Yup shuffle.

I still scoot my feet instead of lifting them. One of my dogs even scoots his feet.

Open the door to the inside, not the out if at all possible. That will make half of them get out of the way, and allow you not to rush in.

And mine all scatter when I come. Til I rattle the treat bag.

Open the door to the inside, not the out if at all possible. That will make half of them get out of the way, and allow you not to rush in.

And mine all scatter when I come. Til I rattle the treat bag.

I found issues with doors opening inward. I
If there is snow built up you simple cannot get in at all.
If a hen is ill and cannot move she will wind up laying inside the door where you cannot get to her without squishing or shoving her with the door.

Maybe a dutch door so the top can be opened leaving the bottom closed? No need to fully enter to toss treats in then.

Thanks everyone. I am still upset about the chicks toe. I was trying to be careful but had mud boots on and didn't feel anything, just heard her fuss.
The coop looks nice I agree, but I would prefer an automatic door for the inside and will have to figure out how to keep it warm next winter. It looks drafty to me. We live in Georgia so the weather isn't too bad, but we do get hard freezes once in awhile.

Back
Top Bottom