Help! Bad design? Or am I just clumsy?

Ok, so that wasn't the best title for a new thread, but I could use some advice.
I'm new to raising chickens and I have 11 3-5 week old chicks in a coop out Back. Today, while bringing them a treat, I stepped on one of the older chicks, breaking her toe. Anyway, my question is, how do I keep the 'kids' from getting under my feet when I open the run door? I feel terrible. She seems to be okay, but has a limp. We haven't put up a poultry fence yet, but there must be a way to open the coop to go in without trampling the little ones.
Here is a picture of my coop.

How about change the door with 2 section like in the Mr Ed? You can put the feed and water next to the door. There is no need to get into the coop. I highly recommend auto feeder or PVC large feeder and auto waterer for the long run. The roof seem flat so the snow might be a problem. Sorry... I can't really tell from the photo.

Slow and steady wins the race. Shuffle and don’t pick your feet up? I’ve never had that problem.

You can shoo them away too. That’s what I do. When I go in the run to refill the water I say something like “get! Shoo!” While flinging my arm towards them and they scatter. A little limp won’t hurt them, it will heal. Just be more careful.

Thanks everyone. I am still upset about the chicks toe. I was trying to be careful but had mud boots on and didn't feel anything, just heard her fuss.
The coop looks nice I agree, but I would prefer an automatic door for the inside and will have to figure out how to keep it warm next winter. It looks drafty to me. We live in Georgia so the weather isn't too bad, but we do get hard freezes once in awhile.

You won't need to "keep it warm" next winter. Your birds will be able to handle any Georgia winter just fine without supplemental heat.

You won't need to "keep it warm" next winter. Your birds will be able to handle any Georgia winter just fine without supplemental heat.
Yes, this!^^^^
.....and don't block off all the ventilation in coop thinking it will keep them 'warmer'.
Sorry about your misstep, it happens...but most mine run away unless I have treats.

Back
Top Bottom