HELP! Brahma injured because of meddling landlord!

SmittenChicken

Songster
9 Years
Apr 23, 2010
I am so angry right now.

I'm renting a house with a chicken coop and got 13 pullets in April. Our landlord, very particular and always quick to give advice, is a little meddlesome and has overstepped his bounds in deciding what is best for the chickens a few times now.

I came home the other day to find that he had moved the rock we were using to prop open the coop door back outside, and had tied the door open with plastic rope. I had a hard time getting it untied, so I put the rock back, pulled part of the rope down, and meant to come out with the scissors to cut it off. I left in a hurry this morning and forgot to take care of it.

I just came home from work to find my sweetest Light Brahma, Salty, hanging from the plastic cord which had become wrapped around her chest, both wings, and her legs. She was just hanging there not moving when I saw her, and I was sure she was dead. When I lifted her up she started making distressed sounds, but was very weak and didn't struggle much at all. It's in the low 90s here today (fortunately it didn't meet the 98 degree forecast) and the coop door gets full sunlight. I was finally able to get her untangled after several minutes, the rope was extremely tight and was around the base of both wings, her crop, etc. She was panting with her mouth wide open and looked very out of it and distressed, but didn't struggle against me at all.
The poor girl drooped right to the floor when I finally set her down, I lifted her gently and set her beak in the waterer, she drank a couple times and seemed desperately thirsty but barely able to keep her eyes open. She was able to stand on her own while I filled the waterer with cold water, and then started drinking on her own. At first she seemed very shocky, her eyes looked very out of it and kept drooping closed but she would perk up and drink a little when I stroked her back.

Right now I have her in a separate area of the coop with a waterer, she was on the ground sleeping (on her chest, not side) when I checked on her last, but she seemed alert and stood up when I talked to her. I offered her a little of their regular feed from my hand and she pecked at it a few times, and seems to be drinking on her own. But, when she stands both wings droop down at the same level. I am hoping she isn't badly injured and that she's just sore and exhausted - I certainly would be! I haven't checked her thoroughly for cuts b/c I wanted to give her a chance to have some peace and quiet and get rehydrated first. ETA: there was about a 1" stripe of pink on the rope, which I think might have been blood. I didn't notice any on her white feathers.

I'm going to try giving her some yogurt and egg yolk with vitamins to get some food in her, and put some electrolytes in her water. Is there anything else I can do for her? I have no idea how long she was caught, I'm hoping she wasn't without food and water for very long.

I'm just glad I found her before she died up there, but I am furious at our landlord (and at myself for not cutting the darn thing down when I first saw it). I just put a sign up on the gate to the run stating "NO trespassing or any other access without tenants' permission, violators will be prosecuted". As far as I am concerned, it is not okay for him to be doing "maintenance" on the coop on a whim and we need to have at least 24 hours notice as we should with the house, per our lease (we've had to talk to him about THAT one, too...). We can't have him putting up any more nooses!

Last edited:
Update: She was crouched down sleeping when I went out to her just now, I got her to eat some scrambled eggs mixed with plain yogurt. She seems pretty interested in them and does the customary beak-scrape on the ground after she eats a few bites, but I've noticed that some clear yellowish liquid comes out of her beak when she's down near the ground. It looks like she is pecking at it when this happens? Her crop feels full and she drank a fair amount of water when I was with her earlier. Could she have damaged something internally or is this normal?

Also, both of her wings are still just hanging down. I tried putting them back in place and she didn't seem to be bothered by it at all, but they just dropped right back down as soon as I let go of them. Do chickens do this for other reasons, like when they don't feel well, or are they broken? It's still really hot out and I don't know if I need to wrap her wings! Please help!

i would advise your landlord to please leave your pets alone! Just because he owns the place does not mean he can go and meddle with your stuff! i would be ticked off and would have freaked out on him!

I hope she will be OK!
hugs.gif

I am so sorry about your girl! I think I would check to see if any skin is torn, but other than that I think I would let her alone and keep watering/feeding her and just watch her until tomorrow. Feel around her crop maybe for anything unusual? Then tomorrow check her over again and re assess. I am sure your landlord thought he was doing you a favor, but he truly has no business messing around your chickens. I would politely, but firmly, tell him you don't need help with your chickens, but if you do...you will request it! Hope she is ok and recovers with no issues!

Our girls kind of drop their wings and hold them out to the side when they're hot. Unless she's completely out of it, I'd think she would object, rather vehemently, to you moving the wings if they were broken. I'm not an expert, but it sounds to me like you've done what you can for the moment. It sounds like you need to discuss personal boundary issues with your landlord, but wait to do that until you've calmed down a bit. Good luck, and keep us posted!

The regurgitated liquid, limp wings, etc, sounds like a shocky chicken. Keep doing what you're doing - food, water, yogurt, scrambled eggs, electrolytes. She's stressed and in "overload mode." I had a hen that hopped in the FULL horse water trough and was there for who knows how long (out in the morning, up at night - so she got in anywhere in between) and was just hanging onto the edge with her beak. I just happened to glance over and notice the not-floating chicken. PUlled her out, separated her in a crate w/food & water and she just went limp. By the next morning, she was fine and cranky that she was still being held captive.

Best of luck to your Brahma - she probably thought the rope was a goody and got caught while trying to attack/eat it. Do what you're already doing and hopefully she will pull through okay.

I recommend you bring her inside for awhile and let her cool off. I think you're doing everything you can possibly do to get her back in shape. I'm glad your weathermen are as lousy as ours at weather forecasting. As far as the yellow liquid...it could be that she drank too much water and it's coming up with digested food that she's eaten due to the heat. Just keep an eye on her as best as you can and keep doing what your doing.

Back
Top Bottom