HELP! Broken egg inside hen?

Brandy Hurley

In the Brooder
Aug 9, 2018
Just today I went out to visit my hens and found one sitting on the roost in our coop. I thought it was kind of weird that she was there since it was still quite bright out and the others were still out foraging, so I took her of the roost and realized that there was egg white and some sort of sack or casing hanging from her vent. I immediately guessed she had a broken egg inside of her. She's a little over 2 years old and has never had any problems laying eggs, nor has she been laying weak shelled ones. So far we haven't done anything yet to see if there really is a broken egg stuck inside her or not. My parents suggested she may have layed an egg with no shell but I still believe she may have a broken egg stuck in her... What do you guys think? I heard that a broken egg could cause infection and possibly death within 48 hours so i'm kind of panicking. What should I do?

Welcome to BYC.
The the rubbery stuff come out of her?

You can give her a calcium supplement to help her expel it all.
Calcium citrate or a tums tablet if you have it on hand.

Hopefully it is a one time fluke.

Warm Epsom salt bath and you may have to examine a bit inside the vent to see if the shell is still in there

She may also need calcium to help prevent soft shells and breakage

I had a hen last year this happened to and I did the bath and examine and She was fine good luck!

I've had this go both ways - one died within 3 days and the other two survived though weren't laying anymore. I'd get a glove and gently feel around inside- if you have some kind of lubricant, your hen will appreciate it. At the very least if you can get the rest of shell/sac out of her, she shouldn't be trying to push on it anymore. But, the egg material when it's in there can cause a terrible infection.

One of my girls recently had an egg break inside her. She was fine without asistance. Hope your girl is fine too.

Jewel, as you can see, is completely okay.
1532047500752.jpg

Warm Epsom salt bath and you may have to examine a bit inside the vent to see if the shell is still in there

She may also need calcium to help prevent soft shells and breakage

I had a hen last year this happened to and I did the bath and examine and She was fine good luck!

Okay, I'll have to go get epsom salt and do the bath... She also has a perfect amount of calcium in her diet so I don't understand... she was just laying perfect, hard shelled eggs the day before so I don't know how it broke...

Back
Top Bottom