Help! Bumblefoot in my ducks

lawson1986

Songster
Sep 29, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
Hello all! Question: Last night I noticed my drake had a weird lump on his foot, so I inspected closely to find what I believe to be bumblefoot. Then I checked my other ducks and hens. The hens are all fine, but my two khaki Campbell ducks also have the bumblefoot. So...I spent an hour in the first aid aisle last night at the store (I know I should have been prepared with a first aid kit, but I wasn't...but be assured I am very well stocked now!) Anyways, I don't have rocks or brambles or anything like that in my yard, but the ducks pens are on concrete (they are only locked up at night for their protection, otherwise they have full run of the entire yard during the day) . My backyard has been reduced to dirt mostly (the chickens and ducks have eaten/destroyed all the grass) and then the sidewalk and back porch area are concrete. I had my khaki Campbells girls for 2 years with no foot issues.....until now. I believe the issue is caused by them running from the Pekin Drake because of his very aggressive and unwanted attention, and his foot issues in turn are caused by his mad chasing of them. (He has a Pekin female also, but doesn't really concern himself with her and prefers to torture my khaki girls. ) Anyways...I know I will have to be very attentive to try and resolve this bramblefoot issue in all 3 ducks.... This is my first issue with this so any tips or help would be appreciated. But then also....how do I protect my khaki girls from a repeated issue once this is resolved....This Drake just is relentless in his assaults!!! I am ready to say he might just have to go...my girls feathers are all messed up from him and now this foot issue. I feel so bad for them. What would you do if it we're your flock??? And has anyone ever used chicken saddles on their ducks? Looking forward to some good advice...as I'm pretty much freaking out now. Thanks all

For the bumble-foot soak their feet in Epsom salt water every other day, spray the bumps with vetrecin, thericin, or banix (these products are usually available at most feed stores) every day. Do this until the bumps go away. To prevent this from coming back get them off the concrete floors. You can make floors for the ducks out of gravel covered with sand. These floors can be cleaned easily with a dog pooper scooper type rake. I can give you more detailes about how to make this predator proof.

For the bumble-foot soak their feet in Epsom salt water every other day, spray the bumps with vetrecin, thericin, or banix (these products are usually available at most feed stores) every day. Do this until the bumps go away. To prevent this from coming back get them off the concrete floors. You can make floors for the ducks out of gravel covered with sand. These floors can be cleaned easily with a dog pooper scooper type rake. I can give you more detailes about how to make this predator proof.
The reason we have them on the concrete is so the flooring can be washed multiple times a day with the hose during summer months and we use deep litter method when it's too cold to run the hose. I was thinking of maybe adding the heavy duty rubber stall mats to the bottom to be easier on their feet, but still make it easy to clean. Do you think that would work? We can't use gravel or sand because they would clog the gutters which are right next to the duck pens, and then the yard would be a swampy mess.

I hadn't thought of it honestly, I thought that was more of something people did in winter. I could probably do deep litter all year though... Neither the ducks or the chickens seem to mind it

I hadn't thought of it honestly, I thought that was more of something people did in winter. I could probably do deep litter all year though... Neither the ducks or the chickens seem to mind it
The point of deep litter is that you never have to clean it out completely. It has been proven in many studies that a active microbial biome in the litter is more beneficial to the health of your birds than fresh litter.

Back
Top Bottom