dsowens15

Songster
9 Years
Jun 17, 2010
Winchester, TN
This is day 19 and I checked under my brooby silkie hen to find this egg
60855_07040009321.jpg

I took it inside and damped the membrane and covered it with a wet rag
It head is right in the middle of the whole. The egg is crushed, but I believe the chick is still alive.

Quote:
Being its on day 19 it may need more time and not ready to hatch. If you don't have an incubator, get a box, close it but allow air to circulate and get some heat in it. Lamp, heating pad.. whatever. You must keep it warm as well as humidity up. Try to get heat up to around 99F if you can and put a wet sponge/cloth in a dish for humidity.

Have you heard any peeping from the chick?

You can also wrap a towel or blanket around the box to keep more heat in. Just make sure you don't cover it completely so it cannot get air.

One way to get heat/humidity up fast is take a wet facecloth and nuke it for about 10 sec. it will be hot so watch your hands.
Put it in the box not touching the egg.

Good luck

Last edited:
Quote:
I find that a paper towel dries to fast so I would use a face cloth or something of the sort, dampen it and wrap it around the egg leaving a small area around its head uncovered.

Sounds as if you have a handle on it.
smile.png
Good to hear its peeping.

Last edited:
the chick died:( I think the membrane stuck to him, it was a silkie. i didn't have a top for my bator so i have the thermostat and the chick ckoser to the light and had him in a wet rag. The rag did get cold tho. I tried to keep it with warm water.
but today I have a pip from its brother or sister sikie

Back
Top Bottom