HELP!!! Chick with injured Wing!!

HorseMadWhovian

Chirping
6 Years
Dec 12, 2013
On my horse ;)
Ok, so I have 6 2-8 day old chicks, the fathers a silkie, not sure about mothers but the chicken who hatched them is a silkie. This morning I came out and two of them were caught in her fluff, one around the wing the other the neck. The one with the neck is fine then one with the wing was holding it weirdly and it was swollen and the feathers were gone. Tonight she was still holding it weirdly so I brought her inside to nurse. We are going to give her antibiotics because she can't tug her wing up, not sure if shes sore or its too swollen. She doesn't look like shes in pain, I'm just hoping the wing hasn't died. What should I do? She's inside with a special chick designed heater and one of her friends for company. I will post pictures later, please please help.

Last edited:
Did your chick make it? My 5 day old baby chick's wing looks just like yours and I don't know what to do. I tried to tape it but couldn't get it to stay. Did you just leave it alone?

Did your chick make it? My 5 day old baby chick's wing looks just like yours and I don't know what to do. I tried to tape it but couldn't get it to stay. Did you just leave it alone?

This thread is a couple years old, and it doesn't look like the original poster comes around any more.

Any idea what happened to your chick?

I had one that something similar happened to, but I think it got chewed by a mouse with its momma in the brooder (outside within the coop). It did lose half its wing, but it healed and didn't seem to bother it. I used a little Neosporin on it a couple of times.

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply @WVduckchick. I had a feather duster hanging from the top of the brooder (saw it on one of these boards) the chicks love it but one got tangled and I think tried to pull free and it left its little wing a tiny bit bloody and it's laying limp, hanging down from its body. I tried to wrap it, but couldn't get anything to stay put. Did you amputate the part of its wing or just let it be?

Thanks for the reply @WVduckchick. I had a feather duster hanging from the top of the brooder (saw it on one of these boards) the chicks love it but one got tangled and I think tried to pull free and it left its little wing a tiny bit bloody and it's laying limp, hanging down from its body. I tried to wrap it, but couldn't get anything to stay put. Did you amputate the part of its wing or just let it be?

Oh wow, I've never heard of that happening. In my case, I used a little Neo and it healed and dried up, then just fell off.
I probably wouldn't bother trying to wrap a baby chick, but hopefully someone else will chime in with something useful.

I guess if I felt like it had to be wrapped, I'd try some Vet wrap. They grow so quickly though, I expect it will heal on its own.

Back
Top Bottom