HELP! Chicken with cold

Harry Rooster when you say she smelled bad it makes me worry you might be dealing with Coryza.

Infectious Coryza
Synonyms: roup, cold, coryza

Species affected: chickens, pheasants, and guinea fowl. Common in game chicken flocks.

Clinical signs: Swelling around the face, foul smelling, thick, sticky discharge from the nostrils and eyes, labored breathing, and rales (rattles -- an abnormal breathing sound) are common clinical signs. The eyelids are irritated and may stick together. The birds may have diarrhea and growing birds may become stunted (see Table 1).

Mortality from coryza is usually low, but infections can decrease egg production and increase the incidence and/or severity of other diseases. Mortality can be as high as 50 percent, but is usually no more than 20 percent. The clinical disease can last from a few days to 2-3 months, depending on the virulence of the pathogen and the existence of other infections such as mycoplasmosis.

Transmission: Coryza is primarily transmitted by direct bird-to-bird contact. This can be from infected birds brought into the flock as well as from birds which recover from the disease which remain carriers of the organism and may shed intermittently throughout their lives.. Birds risk exposure at poultry shows, bird swaps, and live-bird sales. Inapparent infected adult birds added into a flock are a common source for outbreaks. Within a flock, inhalation of airborne respiratory droplets, and contamination of feed and/or water are common modes of spread.

Treatment: Water soluble antibiotics or antibacterials can be used. Sulfadimethoxine (Albon
00ae.png
, Di-Methox
2122.png
) is the preferred treatment. If it is not available, or not effective, sulfamethazine (Sulfa-Max
00ae.png
, SulfaSure
2122.png
), erythromycin (gallimycin
00ae.png
), or tetracycline (Aureomycin
00ae.png
) can be used as alternative treatments. Sulfa drugs are not FDA approved for pullets older than 14 weeks of age or for commercial layer hens. While antibiotics can be effective in reducing clinical disease, they do not eliminate carrier birds.

Prevention: Good management and sanitation are the best ways to avoid infectious coryza. Most outbreaks occur as a result of mixing flocks. All replacement birds on "coryza-endemic" farms should be vaccinated. The vaccine (Coryza-Vac) is administered subcutaneously (under the skin) on the back of the neck. Each chicken should be vaccinated four times, starting at 5 weeks of age with at least 4 weeks between injections. Vaccinate again at 10 months of age and twice yearly thereafter.
Xs 2

This is why I say get pictures if you can and please, write down everything, even if you don't think it's important, and provide that info as well in your description of problem. I would much rather read through a long list of issues than to give incorrect information. That doesn't help you or the bird.

Do you know what the sores are from? Were these birds in filthy pens before you got them? Do they just smell near the head or is it all over them. Do yourself and the birds a favor and really think about the symptoms. BYC people will bend over backwards to help but more info is needed. This is experience talking, I left something out once and lost the bird because of it.

Before you switch antibiotic again, stop, look and listen. Sounds silly but sometimes it's the best advice. I know Bubbles doesnt like to be held but if you can get close and listen to her chest you'll know if it's deep or just upper nasal.

I just reread this answer and I'm sorry if it comes across as being short. It isn't meant that way at all so please don't take offence. I am concerned that I may not have given you the right information and am kicking myself for missing something.

Last edited:
Finally pictures. Is this Marek's??? Chick is laying on her side with legs stretched out one in front and one behind. It started with her sneezing and being wobble standing and having difficulty breathing and she is now reduced to not being able to stand. She lays on her side and only moves her one leg back and forth. It's so sad to see. I started her on antibiotic a couple days ago and she seems to be getting stronger and eating/drinking and pooping.

Let me ask some more questions.....Can you move the leg under her [without pain!] or is it pretty much frozen? Is she able to move those legs by herself? Is she able to get to food and water herself? When was the last time she was up on her own? Are any of the others showing any symptoms? Have you had any feed that was moldy or musty smelling? Clumpy? Were they given a lot of scratch? Have you tried giving her vitamin E? I'm looking for anything here.

This is a guess here, but it appears to me that she is using her wings to move herself around. If this is Marek's, and I'm not saying it is, there are a lot of things you can do to keep the bird alive and as well as it can be. One thing, you can make her a sling so she is up and better able to eat and drink without spilling or fouling the feed and water. I made something similar to a chicken saddle only it went under the belly instead of on the back and was able to get her up off the floor of the brooder by running string from the sling to the sides of the box.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ng-upright-falling-over-question-on-vitamin-e

It's post #4 that has some info on giving the vitamin E. If you have already tried this and you got no results then i would say it's a little more serious and you'll need to think about what is best for you and the hen.

Last edited:
Let me ask some more questions.....Can you move the leg under her [without pain!] or is it pretty much frozen?
Yes, I can move both her legs and she is not in any pain.

Is she able to move those legs by herself?
Yes, she can move both legs and her wings.

Is she able to get to food and water herself?
Yes, I have put food on the bottom of the tub and she has water next to her.

When was the last time she was up on her own?
At least 5 days ago.

Are any of the others showing any symptoms?
No others are showing any symptoms.

Have you had any feed that was moldy or musty smelling?
She is on Start and Grow that is fresh. Clumpy? No.

Were they given a lot of scratch?
No scratch at this young age.

Have you tried giving her vitamin E?
How do I give the vitamin E? Can it be my supplement and I would give her a drop.

I had moved the chicks out to a new shed we had built recently. My husband built grow-out pens in the shed with heat lamps and I changed their water and instead of getting warmed water I gave them water that was cold. As soon as she drank the water she began to sneeze. I watched her and a day later brought her into the house into a brooder with a heat lamp and then this happened.

Thanks for your reply.

Let me ask some more questions.....Can you move the leg under her [without pain!] or is it pretty much frozen?
Yes, I can move both her legs and she is not in any pain.

Is she able to move those legs by herself?
Yes, she can move both legs and her wings.

Is she able to get to food and water herself?
Yes, I have put food on the bottom of the tub and she has water next to her.

When was the last time she was up on her own?
At least 5 days ago.

Are any of the others showing any symptoms?
No others are showing any symptoms.

Have you had any feed that was moldy or musty smelling?
She is on Start and Grow that is fresh. Clumpy? No.

Were they given a lot of scratch?
No scratch at this young age.

Have you tried giving her vitamin E?
How do I give the vitamin E? Can it be my supplement and I would give her a drop.

I had moved the chicks out to a new shed we had built recently. My husband built grow-out pens in the shed with heat lamps and I changed their water and instead of getting warmed water I gave them water that was cold. As soon as she drank the water she began to sneeze. I watched her and a day later brought her into the house into a brooder with a heat lamp and then this happened.

Thanks for your reply.
I take a capsule of 400IU and make a hole in it with a pin and then squeeze this onto a small amount of feed and leave it until she eats it all. You could also give it to her orally but be very careful she doesn't aspirate it. Now this started with the water? No symptoms before this? None of the others are showing any symptoms at all? Check that link I gave you and also do a search on BYC for vitamin E usage. Look, to be brutaly honest here, Marek's can never be ruled out because the symptoms can be different from bird to bird and so subtle that sometimes we don't see them at all. All you'll have is a dead bird. This could be something else all together, so don't give up hope yet. Continue with the vitamins and add the vitamin E for a bit. Even though this is a fat stored vitamin, I don't think at this point it will be a problem. If she can move both of her legs....this is a good sign.

I'm trying the E and this morning she is much more active. Not able to sit or stand. Will continue the E. Thanks for your reply.

First - she is a he.

Is he eating at all? Chickens also get weak and lay on their sides when they have given up and are dying. I had a cockerel with an injured leg and he laid on his side like that when he could no longer get around. We had to put him down, unfortunately.

I'd put some paper towels down so he's not on a slippery surface as well. I'm sorry, and good luck. I don't think it's Mareks - I believe he has a respiratory illness.

Last edited:
I'm trying the E and this morning she is much more active. Not able to sit or stand. Will continue the E. Thanks for your reply.

First - she is a he.

Is he eating at all? Chickens also get weak and lay on their sides when they have given up and are dying. I had a cockerel with an injured leg and he laid on his side like that when he could no longer get around. We had to put him down, unfortunately.

I'd put some paper towels down so he's not on a slippery surface as well. I'm sorry, and good luck. I don't think it's Mareks - I believe he has a respiratory illness.
I hope so for the bird's sake and lbchickens9 sake as well. Marek's is an awful thing to have to deal with.

Im gonna keep an eye on my sneezing chick. I only noticed one sneezing this morning but she sneezed quite a few times. I will be able to isolate her and any others I feel might need attention. My mom has an old rabbit hutch that my Gramma use to use for chicks years ago. If I need to, I can put the hutch in our shop and heavily bed it with shavings. that way, they will be warm as well as protected and I will be able to put any chicks on antibiotics without compromising my egg production.

Update- today the chick is standing up and moving around, still a little wobbly but getting stronger and hopefully on the mend. Thanks to everyone who helped with great advice to pull this chick through.

Back
Top Bottom