HELP! CHICKENS EATING EGGS

With mine it is eratic Sometimes for several days there isn't a problem, then suddenly it happens again. I thought we had the problem solved when the "culprits' ended up in the pot, but it started again, and I want to keep the rest of my beauty, contented flock!
Those who bring sunshine into the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves.

Blow out some eggs and fill up with lidquid soap or lestol/pinesol disenfectant.They do not like the taste and it helps,also put golf ball.plastic eggs are okay if they are white and partly filled with sand so they are not so light..Bigger and darker nests help too.

Mine still do that occasionally, but the key is to make sure they have plenty of laying pellets and water, if they are thirsty they will hit the eggs for moisture. They don't always, and I heard once a chicken starts it will not stop, but again, as long as ours are fed well and have water they do not do it. Good Luck to you

I think it happens just by accident for many. When some hens lay, they like to roll their egg underneath them and move it about. IT they have sharp beeks and break the shell, they eat the goo. Also, if nestingboxes are crowded, they can accidently break an egg. I have had a1 or 2 do this but kept cement eggs in the boxes, and this discouraged it. no more probs

I think it happens just by accident for many. When some hens lay, they like to roll their egg underneath them and move it about. IT they have sharp beeks and break the shell, they eat the goo. Also, if nestingboxes are crowded, they can accidently break an egg. I have had a1 or 2 do this but kept cement eggs in the boxes, and this discouraged it. no more probs
I think this is what is happening with my girls. They have layer pellets, oyster shells available, we also re-feed egg shells after drying. I also alternate my feed with a flight developer that has more Protein but I have at least one girl and two I think that still have thin shells on occasion and I believe while they are rolling them around they break and then "lunch" is served. It is agrivating as I am not available to collect eggs two or three times a day.

I have a problem with this too:( Despite that they are on a higher protein crumble with free choice calcium & plenty of water. Including fresh treats daily which I make sure everyone gets some.

We have been raising chickens for awhile and I've found many people that have chicken eating there eggs so I did a test to try to find the problem
cool.png
. Our chickens have never eaten a single egg and our friends chickens have been eating there eggs even when eating oyster shell so it was the perfect croups to do the test on.
Our chickens only eat scratch with some oyster shell and there main chicken food along with some occasional fruits, veggies,scraps from the table and bugs that fly into there pen. Our friends chickens eat like ours but they also eat the leftover meat off meat bones (including there recently butchered friend) and they eat egg shells that where cooked.
I have found that most of the people feeding there chickens scrambled eggs (ones or twice a month is OK) all the time, meat and egg shells of ANY type are the ones that have the egg eating problems.
I hope this help with some of the egg eating problems and good luck with getting the other chickens off egg eating.
big_smile.png

One of my little Bantams layed her egg out in the run, I went to pick it up and thought it was really light...turned it over there was a hole pecked into it and everything inside either was eaten or drained out. This is a first for my hens.

My chickens will eat them if they are in the run but will not disturb them in the nesting box when the eggs are out in the open run they think it is a treat you have to try to keep the eggs layed in the nesting boxes.

Back
Top Bottom