HELP CHICKENS KICKING BEDDING OUT OF EGG BOX!

Chickenlover2017

Songster
May 24, 2017
Ok so I really need help and fast because, three of my girls just started laying but one or two eggs a day become cracked because they land on the hard floor all because my chickens kick out there shavings and hay from the eggs box. How do I I get them to stop? Any suggestions? Please help SOON!!

From my understanding, new layers can become overzealous for a time about rearranging their bedding, it should get better as they mature. In the meanwhile, you could try something like AstroTurf or old chunks of carpet to line the nest box with, that way it's cushioned and harder for them to remove.

Thanks for the advice but I should have mentioned they have been doing this their entire life now I get cracked eggs...
From my understanding, new layers can become overzealous for a time about rearranging their bedding, it should get better as they mature. In the meanwhile, you could try something like AstroTurf or old chunks of carpet to line the nest box with, that way it's cushioned and harder for them to remove.

But AstroTurf is a great idea!

Can you post a pic of the nest box? Including dimensions can also help us help you figure out the issues.

You said they just started laying... I think you had nest boxes open to soon.

If you have a tiny chicken house they may be viewing that space as floor space instead of nests.

buy a bale of straw. place some of it in the box.I hope the box has 4 tall sides. they will shape a hole in it. they are trying to nest and shavings don't weave.:) all birds weave, chicken are no different.:thumbsup

image.jpg

Can you post a pic of the nest box? Including dimensions can also help us help you figure out the issues.

You said they just started laying... I think you had nest boxes open to soon.

If you have a tiny chicken house they may be viewing that space as floor space instead of nests.
Here is a pic

Photos of the nests might help, but a common cause of this problem is that the lip or edge around the nest is too low. Raise it a few inches to make it harder for them to kick the bedding out. I like a lip of about 5". Without photos or more info I'm just guessing of course.

Back
Top Bottom