HELP, chicks turning carnivorous on each other

Fillmore Farmer

In the Brooder
Oct 7, 2015
I've had this happen with 2 batches of chicks, they start pecking at each other's butts until the feathers are gone and there's an open wound...then they follow the wounded birds around like a freakin' buffet. I'd find a couple dead chicks with their innards hollowed-out and thought it was bigger chickens having a go at them...but when quarantined, it turns-out the chicks were dong it to themselves. I let them out with the whole flock cause I figured I had nothing to lose and it seems to have stopped.

I just recently brought another 6 chicks to the flock and they're starting to do the same thing. What the heck is this about? My food supplier says that once they get a taste of meat/blood they'll keep going at it. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!

You probably need to look at your feed as well as the living conditions. How many babies do you have and how much space? Birds that are crowded and stressed may take it out on each other.

I agree that its highly likely that the issue is caused by their environment and not protein deficiency. Birds will often exhibit feather pecking as a re-directed response to being unable to ground peck, as well as other factors. Ensuring that you have sufficient space, appropriate litter substrate (that facilitates dust bathing), multiple feeding stations, places of refuge / perches can all help to reduce this kind of behaviour.

Any bird with a wound should be removed immediately, as the sight of blood will result in persistent pecking.

Back
Top Bottom